Tuning Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by habitatchad, Sep 3, 2008.

1. habitatchad

habitatchad Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    On my 1924 cornet, D in the staff is VERY flat. All other notes on the horn are fine. If I use 1 and 3 it is in tune but is much slower obviously. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chad

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    What mouthpiece are you using?

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Learn to lip that note up. If it won't lip high enough, use the other fingering. You could shorten the 1st valve slide and receiver, but that would mess up the other notes that use that valve since you stated that they are in tune. I have a very old cornet (1870) that has an extremely flat first space F. Can't do anything about it but lip it, 'cause the other notes with 1st valve are OK or a little sharp up higher.

4. habitatchad

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    Its a vintage one that came with the horn. The only markings are E15A. It's very deep with a flat rim. I dug through the used mouthpieces at the music shop today and picked up a vintage ez tone real cheap to see if that would make a difference. I have a rehearsal tonight so i wont get t see if it makes any difference.

5. habitatchad

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    It tunes at the half tone mark. There is no way I can lip it that far. I think what ill do, unless the mouthpiece thing fixes it, is use #1 if in a run or technical section and use #1 and #3 if it is a sustained note.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  6. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    how do you tune a trumpet?

7. habitatchad

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    If you are playing with a group, the best way is to listen to the others and adjust your main slide (the one at the end of the tube that your mouthpiece connects to) until you match the others. You can use a tuner to see if you are sharp or flat. I always used the saying "long sharp knife" to remind me that a sharp instrument needs to be longer or pull out the slide. Hope that helped.

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I´m probably on the wrong track here, but I (although never having played a cornet) understand that on some cornets the third valve doesn´t lower notes a minor third but instead a MAJOR third.
    This is probably not your problem, but I´m posting this just in case . . .

9. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I have always used first valve when I play the d i imagine that would be flat

10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    OK!

Wish I could help . . .