Tuning Slide / Crook - Round or "D" Shaped

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Is there a noticable difference between a "D" shaped tuning crook vs. a round (single radius) tuning crook?
    Ease of playing...sound quality? Have never played a trumpet with this feature.

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    both my Bach Omega trumpet and strad cornet have very sharp D tuning slides which probably adds quite a bit of resistantence to the horn a round one will probably give a freer blow, just an educated guess......

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    The single radius does reduce resistance. It depends on the horn you are playing, and what you are looking for.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    To answer the question -- Yes, it makes a difference. Which is better? That's something only you can decide.

My Shires came with both a squarer slide and a more rounded slide, and I keep going back and forth between them, some days preferring the way one works for me and some days preferring the other one.

I've found that it often depends on which mouthpiece I'm using, which slide I prefer.

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The trumpet in question is a Getzen Artist Series Mike Vax Model. The round crook is an option from Getzen. If it would provide for a nicer "blow", or improve on the tone color, I would be interested. The horn has a commercial lead trumpet sound in stock form, using a Bach 3C mp.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    You won't ever know if it will improve the tone color or give the horn a "nicer blow" until you can try one. If you can find a store which has one in stock, you can go try it out. If not, you'll never know for sure until you buy it and try it. Perhaps Getzen has a return policy on such parts if it doesn't improve things for you. Ask them.

But you can't take anybody else's word for what will or will not improve an instrument -- every combination of instrument, mouthpiece and player is unique and therefore what works well for one person may be horrible for another.

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My horn came with both a rounded and "D" tuning slide, as well as heavy and light valve caps. I recorded playing with each. I also did this with various mouthpieces, until I found the right sound. Now if I could only play. Sigh!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is a difference in the sound that the players ears hear. I am not sure how much of that gets to the audience though. I think that the rounded slide lets me hear myself better. The sound seems to have less "core" though.

I did a bunch of research and could not find any real reason for the difference in sound. The "airflow" is identical (no different nodes). The mass and position of the brace in my experiment was the same. The only thing that I couldn't really compare was the tension in the metal. In theory, the squared off slide could have more tension due to the sharper bends. I asked Dave Monette why he used ovate, he said because it fit with his concept better. The rest seems to be a trade secret.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I have a few of both. An interesting comparison, I think, is the Eastman 420g (very D shaped) and the Getzen Severinsen (very round). Both, I believe, have the same number for the bore but the Getzen is way more open, such a difference that it takes me time to adjust between them.

Turtle

10. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    The nodal patterns may be identical but the rounded slide should have less turbulence. What, exactly, effect this has on the sound, I can't say. It's possible it modifies the standing wave in some way.

Stuart