Tuning Slide / Crook - Round or "D" Shaped

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Oct 28, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stuart,
    the standing wave pattern is based on volume for irregular shaped resonant objects and length for cylindrical objects. The acoustical diameter of a tube is larger on bends even if the bore is the same size. You may be on to something here. A D shaped slide is primarily cylindrical except for the two corners. The ovate slide is more constant. That still does not explain why I can hear myself better and that the audience does not hear any difference.

At the end of the day, the difference in my daily form will be far greater than the small hardware difference. I guess practicing more will give us greater improvements.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't know where this information came from or if it's true.

I thought the square type will help notes lock in and the round is a little more free blowing but the notes don't center as well. Monette went half way between the two.

Again, not sure where I heard this.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That was common accepted fact for many years. M/K has similar things on their site.

M / K Drawing & Bending - Welcome

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    B15M,

That describes the two trumpets in my comparison above, perfectly. The Eastman slots and centers notes tightly and easily (D shape), but doesn't bend or slur notes as easily (or sound as good) as the Getzen (round shape). I love the Getzen compromise here, because it slots really well but is more open blowing.

On the other hand, I have a 1924 Martin Handcraft that has a wide wrap and a pronounced square D shape, and it blows freely like the Getzen but doesn't slot easily at all. The slots are HUGE ..... must be another factor in this older trumpet.:dontknow:

Turtle

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Mr. Bach started with a round slide and went to the two bends. Why, there must be some advantage to the bends. Monette was using a round slide and changed to a single bend.

I alwayse guessed that Dave thought Mr. Bach was on to something but went too far. With the ovate slide, you still get the advantage of the bend but it goes into it gradually and the one bend is a good compromise between the two options.

Again, just conjecture.