tuning slide leak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Dec 21, 2008.

1. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    The tuning slide in my horn leaks water when I play. Is this normal? I do not recall seeing this before years ago when I used to play another horn. I tried lubing it but it makes no difference, still leaks water after a few minutes. It moves fine back and forth but I wonder if it affects the performance of the horn in any way...

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Is it leaking from the water key or the slide itself? If it's the slide that means it could also be leaking air. this will effect how the horn plays even in a small way. your locaL repair shop can expand the slide for an air tight fit. that would fix the problem.

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Maybe the spring on the spit key is loose or the key is off alignment?

4. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    It leaks from the slide itself...I suspected this was creating some issues at times. I might buy another horn, this is an old 1970s horn and I just spent $100 fixing the third piston. The valves are not as smooth sometimes even though I oiled them...

5. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    vrrodri -

I've had the same problem on two different horns. I had the slide expanded on one and just left the other one alone. It's a minor fix.

Tony

6. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    Was trhe repair worth it? How much did it cost you?

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    A heavy oil should help too. Try Selmer tuning slide grease (it is pink) and cut it with a bit of non-synthetic valve oil.

8. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
  9. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    That's the first thing I tried...still leaked.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It does not affect the sound or range of the instrument. It is just a pain getting spit and valve oil on a black suit. Get a shop to apply an expander so it is tight again. Your dry cleaning costs will go down!