tuning slide leak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Dec 21, 2008.

1. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Yes it did help. And it was very cheap. Maybe $25 or so.

Tony

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    This happens occasionally with my Bach Mercedes. Mid week and wipe off the vaseline and apply a new coat to my main tuning slide, that helps keep a tight seal. Also I got some slide "O" rings and put on all the slides, except for the #2 slide, and that seemed to do the trick.

vrrodri - as far as your valves sticking every once and awhile on your 1970's horn, check the Valve Slides. If it is a Bach like my Mercedes, they are brass and probably have grooves worn in them. You can get some of the new plastic ones and modify the tips, or I would suggest going to a Bach dealer and getting 3 new brass glides and strings. I think you will feel the a world of difference in your valve response.

Of course only clean valves perform best. Each month when I give my older Bach it's "bath", I clean the valves and valve casings with Liquid Green, re-wash with dish detergent, rinse and dry throughly, wipe again with a micro cloth and apply Holton's Rotary Valve Oil, which is a heavier oil. Also lightly oil the valve glides and springs.

3. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Can I assume that the air-tight tolerances on the slides will have an impact on the overall compression of the horn??

My older Benge has since lost its traditional "pop" when the slides are moved/removed. Would this typically be a symptom of loose slides, or valve compression issues??

:-? :-?

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

It could be either one. To find out if your valves are the leakers, remove each valve slide in turn, plug off the upper leg of the slide, depress the subject valve and blow strongly into the leaderpipe. Any leakage will be readily heard.

OLDLOU>>

5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Sure enough . . . . that was going to be my next question. :-)

I'll give that a try.

Thanks, Lou!!

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Yep, my valves are holding air tight as can be. . . . not even a faint hiss. :-) So, it must be the slides.

7. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    So, this is something a reputable local repair tech can do??

8. heartratestudios

heartratestudios New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    This could effect your trumpet in a huge way. It will probably cause a little worse of a sound and that will make a big difference.

Web tutorials and design

9. colinball

colinball New Friend

Jul 21, 2017
    england
    try rubbing the slide with a candle or use extra heavy slide grease but use very sparingly or the slide won't move

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Hopeless, 9 years.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017