Tuning Slide Movement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by (Trumpet)(2009), Jan 20, 2007.

1. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    I hesitate to think I am arriving at any level of expertise. Today, I was tuning to see just how far I am in, and now it is not very far out at all, no more than 1/4 inch and possibly less, but my tone is continuing to improve. Would there be anything wrnog with someone who plays with their slide all the way in?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yes... if you had to play in a cool environment you would then find that you had no way to adjust your tuning (requiring that you push your slide in to compensate for the tendency of a brass instrument to go flat when cold). Don't obsess over it (the distance the slide is out). If it's around 1/4" that's fine... work on the TONE!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi B15,
    a trumpet with the build quality of a Prana is not the issue here. If I didn't know you better, I would accuse you of trying to show off! You know as well as I do that 10 grand buys a little precision! Dave even has a tool to tighten up the tuning slides!

The question was if we don't need it, why are the slides so long. My answers apply to the majority of trumpets being built today. I do not know why you tried to confuse the issue bringing an instrument into the picture that is everything but "traditional". The question was valid. I always try to answer in the scope of the questioner. If you want to know why Dave uses different length slides, and what the mega investment in his horns gets you, post the questions and I am sure that you will get answers that fit your situation.
    I have pulled the slides out to A on my cornet several times for Stravinskys Soldiers Tale - I guess that wouldn't work with my Ajna2.

As far as breath support goes, when you do not properly breathe and support your sound, you have to push the tuning slide in to compensate for the weak signal going into the horn. After developing better support, the pitch goes up and you need to pull the tuning slide out to be in tune. The body issues generally come much later when people twist themselves inside out trying to get more range or play much more loudly for an extended period of time.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am showing off !!!:-)

OK, on a B993 Monette, why would they make the slide so long if your not supposed to use the length?

I used to call Tom with all of my little questions but I don't know Dean and Dave as well and I feel funny calling about this kind of stuff.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Just pull the slide out to the second scratch mark on your Monette and everything will be fine. :-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Monettes are brushed and not scratched - please!
    Next time that you have the urge to scratch, brush - and you will know why!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007