Tuning slide troubles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Matthew Cruice, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Matthew Cruice

Matthew Cruice New Friend

Sep 13, 2015
    How do you slow down a tuning slide? The tuning slide on my new Jinbao Bass trumpet is good. Too good. I'll be using a tuner and finally get the thing in tune, and then I'll dip the trumpet down a little bit and the tuning slide goes down as well. The slide even moves sometimes when I'm just emptying the spit valve.

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Ultra Pure HEAVY slide grease!

3. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    When the tuning slide falls out/in it's probably leaky too. The lube will make it stay put and tight!

4. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    My getzen 700's slide goes out about halfway after thirty straight minutes of playing. I really should get some heavy slide grease. :oops:

5. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    When the tuning slide is leaky, the intonation gets bad, and you will often play flat in the upper register. Easy fix with heavy lube :-)

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Any decent tech can increase the diameter of the tuning slide legs. Heavier grease does not necessarily fix the problem, it often allows the slides to move easier.

7. Matthew Cruice

Matthew Cruice New Friend

Sep 13, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try that grease, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably have to take it in to a repair shop to fix the slide.

8. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I will not argue with you, but the HEAVY lube will not make it move easier, it's sticky as h***! If you get some on your finger you'll never get it off. :-)

And of course, the lube is an easy DIY fix, not necessarily the best tech-way, but easy and very affordable.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would go to a tech and let them expand the inner slide legs. Thicker grease is a functional workaround, but offers no security and if a slide is loose, it is only a factor of time until it or the horn gets damaged when falling out. Exactly this happened to me with my pocket trumpet. It WILL happen when you least need it.

The expansion process is not expensive or time consuming. I still use the thick grease with tuning and second valve slides. Only the movable first and third slides get something "faster".