Tuning Slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetPA2009, Feb 1, 2009.

1. trumpetPA2009

trumpetPA2009 New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh PA
    Hi, I am looking for a replacement tuning slide, I've looked everywhere and I can not seem to find it online at all. It's a square tuning slide from the lr180 series, (basically a reverse lead pipe), let me know if anyone has any idea's
    thank

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I have another question along the same lines.

Would you be able to get a reverse leadpipe installed at a local repair shop? And would they make it by cutting and welding/soldering, or put a new leadpipe in, and get a new tuning slide?

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    a good repair tech would have little problem in converting a standard tuning slide into a reverse model.[imho]

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    How much would it cost, apporximately? And what's the risk?
    I'm just scared the pipes, once chopped off and reattached to the opposite part, would snap off.

How would they stick them on again?

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Once again you would have to take it to a very competent repair person who knows what they are doing. It would be reattached with solder, the same as it was originally attached.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Will,
    the tubes are not just "stuck together". The slide is attached with a ferrule which is soldered and gives more strength.

Changing the horn to a reversed style will change its sound and playing dramatically. There will be less core and projection, a brighter sound and the impression that it will be easier to play. If the front brace is not in exactly the right location, the response will go south. This is an easy conversion for a good tech, but the results are not trivial. I would suggest looking for a reversed pipe horn instead of converting. Then you know what the results will be!

7. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I answered your question in the Bb trumpet section but check out www.mkdrawings.com , they seem to make a lot of bach slides, you can also choose the material, email them and ask if they have the reverse slide kinds. hope that helped:-)

8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    But the problem is, Robin, horns cost money.

(at least relatively MORE money)

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, but trashing the one that you have that WORKS is a risk with no guarantees!

One of the most critical adjustments on a horn is the positioning of the bell braces. The bracing of the tuning slide is also important. A reversed tuning slide does not "fix" anything. I consider the mod too dangerous if it is your main horn.

10. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    How 'bout just a single-radius slide then, instead of the D shaped one that came on it?
    Ever compared the two?