Tuning with lead mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    Hello everyone. I am a freshman at my high school and am using a Jet-Tone Custom DS B mouthpiece (yes the old version) that my private teacher gave me for our musical. The musical is Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella. (I know its really not that difficult but I'm lacking in range a little and the only other player that can play the music is a sophomore so I was given 1st part as well) Anyway with this mouthpiece I can handle the music ok. I just have a HUGE issue with tuning. Typically anything past a D in the staff becomes very sharp. I still use my slides to counter but say if I play a F# with second its horrid. I also have a hard time matching up with my partner on 1st as well because its so bright. (He's on a model 37 Stead with a 5c if that's important)
    What should I do to not be sharp? I really can't switch mouthpieces because the show is coming up. I play on a Xeno with a reversed tuning slide also.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    If you have to swap mpc's to play an F# on top of the staff you got bigger problems. Should be able to do that on anything. You're just not used to the new mpc. What was wrong with whatever you used to use?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You need to find another mouthpiece that does not constrain your embouchure.

4. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    When you raise the level of the tongue and if you contract the embouchure and you do not coordinate this with enough wind power and mouthpiece pressure you will go sharp, with a pinched sound.

Practice tongue level exercises / lip slurs with sufficient air support.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    I can play a high c with my old 3c. I am not straining the least bit. I have a clear, but sharp tone when I use the mouthpiece as well. I honestly wish I wasn't given the mouthpiece because now I'm becoming to used to the ease of playing. I got the mouthpiece because I needed a little aid hitting the high D and C in a more musical manner...

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Out of tune is not more musical.

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    While the goal is to play musically, learning to play the horn using only the musically approach, "that is" learning all there is to know about reading music, fingerings, rhythm, phrasing, and dynamics, etc. does nothing to improve your blowing of the horn. What good is music if you can't play it ? Using only the musical approach is exactly the reason why we have players missing high notes and playing sharp in the upper register. This is corrected by learning Clarke's seven basic physical elements of trumpet playing, and correctly developing them.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You don't own the high D and C yet, this is clearly why you cannot sound it in tune with the Jettone. Don't blame the mouthpiece. The problem is with the mouth. Piece!

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Many a wise old horn players tell me slotting of high notes are closer than they seem. Keep that in mind. It sounds like your trying too hard.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    In the short term you can either play the new piece and try to adjust with slides or alternate fingering for the F# (123), or go back to your old one and do the best you can with the range.
    I question the thinking behind your teacher's giving you a different piece for the musical. He may intend the best, but it is always best if we work within our abilities while aiming for future development.