Tuning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dizzybug, Jul 28, 2011.

1. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Chase sanborne has a book and cd out called tuning tactics. While it's a huge plug for using a centre pitch tuner, it also has the recording which is a series of drones against which one would practice first matching pitches and then working with harmony notes (Scottish music anyone?). A neat tool. Could be achieved with any keyboard while holding down the sustain pedal. It's a great exercise to really hear what thirds and fourths, etc. Sound like.
    On that note, it's not a good idea to match each note on a piano or keyboard instrument since these instruments are tuned in an approximation of pure harmonies.
    Tune one or two notes as suggested (c & g) and then use those things that help keep your glasses from falling off.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The out of tune ones!

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I have never adjusted my second valve slide. ( not sure why I keep putting slide grease on it, except for cleaning access). My first slide I use for varius tuning reasons depending on the trumpet, bit I also use it for effects. For example playing a fairly clean and clear low F or E.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Thanks for that! ROFL

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Mr Arban, on page 6, says,

Play top E (in stave) open. Then play with 3rd valve, if sharp pull out slide to adjust.

Then, middle C, open. Then play with 2nd and 3rd valves. Adjust 2nd valve to tune.

Then play middle G open. Then with 1 and 3. Adjust 1st valve accordingly.

Simples. :thumbsup:

6. bhstrumpet18

bhstrumpet18 New Friend

Oct 2, 2010
    Bakersfield, CA
    I would have to agree with the idea that tuners are a bit overrated. Personally, I use my ear to tune to the band around me, listening to the lows and the highs and becoming in tune relatively. The only experience that I usually need a tuner in is when someone else cannot listen and needs a machine to tell them what pitch is right. If I am out of tune, say sharp, usually anyone can hear the sharpness and adjust, and from there, its about playing the horn with the correct air support and posture while using your ear as a "spell checker" on the notes you play.

7. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    When I sub somewhere I sit down and shut up... making a scene over tuning when you are a sub is a good way to make it your last time there.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Really? He clarified by saying 3rd space C, and to most trumpet players, that is middle C - especially inexperienced ones. Given the nature of the question by the original poster, I think we can probably surmise with a fair degree of accuracy that the OP is neither experienced nor playing in an orchestra.

To the original poster I'll say that reading about tuning online isn't going to help your intonation very much. What will help it is learning how to use your ear to match pitches. If you are sharp, pull your tuning slide a bit. Flat - push in a bit. Not quite there? Push/pull a bit more.

Regarding notes that might otherwise be out that can be adjusted with your 1st and/or 3rd valve slides, there is no set amount for how much to throw them to bring pitches down into tune (notable examples being low C# and D, and 1st ledger A for some people) so you have to use your ear and make adjustments as necessary. The only way to train your ear is simply to work on it. Playing along with recordings, playing a note on the piano and then matching it, playing with another player - those are the kinds of things you need to be doing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, when you are out of tune with others, you not only restrict call backs to those, but the "grapevine" carrys the word to many others.

I reiterate, when battery power is low on portable electronic tuners, they are NOT RELIABLE! At home I've an AC unit, but I mostly like tuning forks, as admittedly I don't rely entirely on my ears either.