Tuning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dizzybug, Jul 28, 2011.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The tuner is a training tool. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Anyone who stares a tuner when practicing is doing themselves a disservice. Tune to your preferred tuning note and set the tuner to one side. You can leave it on and glance at the last note you play to see where your pitch may have drifted to.
    Here is something to remember.
    How good is the microphone in your $30 tuner? If you think it is state of the art, you are very mistaken. My $45 tuner often reads the harmonic. ie: if I play a concert G on the Bb, it will very often say I'm playing a concert D.
    Your goal is not to play every note in the green. Note of chords must be adjusted and that is learned by performing with others who, hopefully, can play in tune with each other. That is done by training your ear.
    I was quite fortunate in the fact my high school had a Strobo-Conn tuner. It had a great microphone and I used it as often as I could. I trained my ear by playing a note and watching the harmonic lights of the note light up. I learned that the more harmonics that lit up my sound got better exponentially and my intonation became second nature no matter where I was in the chord.
    Another mistake folks can make is putting a tuner on their stand when everyone else is playing. How in the heck can you be sure what you are getting? Maybe some of the out of tune trombone 10 feet away or the saxophone wailing away directly in front of you?
    Sitting in a band, orchestra, or small group that can play in tune with themselves is a great joy. Conversely, playing in a group that cannot and will not make proper tuning adjustment EVEN WHEN THEY ARE TOLD THEY ARE OUT OF TUNE makes for a very tiresome experience.
    As Bud Herseth said, "If a note sounds beautiful, it is in tune and vice versa".
    Rich T.

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    If you have access to a "strobe" type tuner then you can actually see where your horn "locks" on....playing in tune is another matter and related to the pitches playing around you. Train your ears and the horn will follow.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Right, because 440 Hz is different when batteries are low. :roll:

Ed, you've posted some pretty interesting stuff today - you're really on a roll.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my input is that I use the tuner to "determine" what the note should sound like -- since I have some hearing difficulties on various notes --- I train my brain to get the note that the tuner indicates is in tune... The notes sound different to me, but the brain is sufficiently trained to reproduce that sound ---- which according to the audiences that I have had thus far in the last 2 years - the sound quality is quite acceptable.

to date -- I have not yet played with any other instruments --- perhaps that is the next challenge

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Pop your head out of the collar more often KT [​IMG].

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    words can not express what joy it is to play next to someone who insist on playing sharp all night... the things you are missing out on KT

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    It's better to play sharp than out of tune.ROFL

Regards, Stuart.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well since my auditory skills are not even average. It does concern me to join a band --- with multitudes of different instruments. Can I actually play in tune??? there is no way to tell --- but to do it. YOU people are right -- tuning your instrument and playing "in tune" with others is NOT the same thing.

At the church I attend -- they have only asked me to do SOLO'S --- so that has me concerned!!!!!!!!! Am I the greatest soloists in the world, or do they see I can't play in tune or with musicality, or whatever..:dontknow::dontknow:

ahhh yes --- now we enter the psychology of playing --- and which one of you doesn't occasionally wrestle with that?????

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It was only before my health and dental issues that I frequently played solos in church and the best I could do was some quiet ( ppp ) warm-ups in a remote section of the parking lot before the service began and then Pray my instrument stayed in tune when I began my solo, still there is always the sweat and chills in the moments before no matter how good one's skill is. Frankly, I'd rather play a part in a group than a solo ... but even then such a warm-up helps tremendously.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    They wouldn't ask you if you didn't give them music KT [​IMG] - remember, trumpets are not for introverts - play, and know in your heart that you are right. Blessings on your head my son.