Tuning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dizzybug, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Most ministers / priests /Rabbi's etc. / choir directors and organists know the music you are asked to play just by name ... I've never submitted the actual sheet music from which I played and such was occasions that I did have it in front of me when I soloed. Perhaps very soon I'll pllay in church again.

I've already been practicing a few Christmas carols and I'm really enthused about a different mpc I've just acquired and I can't tell you what it is because it is unmarked. All I can say about is that it has a thick cushion rim with a small, but not shallow cup and a smaller throat than any other I have. Doug Mueewsen reconditioned it and had it replated by Anderson.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 -- thanks Ed, yes I always warm up -- the church is in a multi story building so I can go to the 3rd floor in a closet and warm up -- I agree that it would be comforting to play in a group -- but I take the solos as they request.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks Ted -- to go along with Ed's comment -- so far I have only used the "dots on the page" one time for a song I decided to do only a few minutes before, and I didn't confidently have it memorized. Sometimes I wish the worship leader would give me a specific song to do, but So far they always leave the choice of song material and style up to me. I prefer to memorize the songs so it flows better, and it does.:thumbsup:
    again thanks for the insight.:thumbsup:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, addendum: and then I didn't have a so called practice mute ... and don't know if any were even made then ... at least some of the early times I played in church were during WWII when about all metals were strategic and unavailable ... but too I've an adversion to mutes and would prefer to do without, albeit I've now many which I guess I'll have to use whenever they are called for either in the music or by the director. Too, at the time I was often sight reading and simultaneously transposing from piano music thus memorizing wasn't always a way to go, although I agree that music moves along better with more of one's own interpretation when one isn't playing from dot to dot. How often I was approached to play on Friday or Saturday when I was working part time as a soda jerk in the drug store across the street from the church.
    That just wasn't time enough then for me to memorize a song for Sunday services and it still isn't.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or climb down from out of your tree, once you freed up that finger of course; don't want you breaking an arm only using one limb.
    [​IMG]

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So that's where you find your field mice!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Perhaps I'll recomend to your worship leader that you play Long Ago and Far Away.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would say to keep it simple. Not one player in the whole world has ever learned to play in tune by using a tuner - or any other "trick".

You learn to play in tune by playing with better players. The more band that you are involved in the faster it goes. Play duets as often as possible. You will make discoveries that will guide your ears and body.

The only slide a beginner "needs" is the tuning slide. After one gets more advanced, the third slide helps with low C# and D. Finally (years later) we add the first valve slide for all sorts of stuff.

Get your ensemble playing up. The rest is then obvious!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    haven't seen any field mice (I suspect they are still in the fields) -- however I did see a gnat, that I mistook for you at first --- poor little gnat, glad they don't have enough feelings to be insultedROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH gee at least my finger is doing some good in my ear --- blocking the noise of you out --- and your finger, what good is that doing in your *ear?:shock::shock::shock: ROFLROFLROFL