Turning "great days" into habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Lately I've been leaning towards the idea that we all could think about the MESSAGE we carry to the audience in general. And to the people we gig with. From the "mere community band" to those paid, professional ensembles and "A" type clubs. Putting ourselves into our music in other words.

It was a life changing experience when I heard about my new girlfriend's late trumpet playing boyfriend. She and I started going together a couple weeks back and her former beau died almost a year to the day. Wrote about it recently (somewhere here) if anyone remembers...

His surviving girl and I went to his grave stone last Sunday on the anniversary of his death. This poor cat died way too young. Younger even than me as he was about 50 years old and I'm almost 57. Never put anything ahead of his music. He bused dishes and other menial jobs when not playing clubs, bar mitzvahs, graduations, casuals and Real Book type jam sessions.

THAT'S ALL THAT POOR CAT DID!. Poured his heart out and into his horn upon leaving high school in 1978 and up to the day he died. I'm not exactly sure what conclusion or life lesson is here to be learned. But it probably isn't about how high he played (cat had some serious lead/screech chops btw). Heck Pat Hessions will always have the best chops if not perhaps my favorite player (sorry Pat). So that's not that all that important.

It's about being the artist.

(deceased cat's name withheld out of respect for the family)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Sounds like a fun night Mark .... all your hard work paying off....
    I am down with the meditation but I am not too sure I would think much at all about how to duplicate the night...
    Kind of like a bunch of Hackers going out to play golf ... a guy rips off a 300 yard drive .... so what happens on the next tee box? He gets up and tries to rip off another one .. in the process he might just top it passed the ladies tee marker.
    Enjoy the experience, don't think much about it and try to get that hot babe who you were showing off in front of to make it to your next gig.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Aren’t nights like the one your describing just the best !! When everything is working, air, chops, mind….everything ! There is no better feeling than THAT !!! You are no doubt getting ready to take another step up on the ladder of trumpet performance. You really need to know WHAT you did that caused your great night. Yes meditation is incredible. You need to know the “Root Cause”. What exactly caused you to play this way. Did you find your air stream ? Was your tongue arch working better ? Were you relaxing your upper body more than normal ? Were you compressing more ? Were you more “In Tune” with your body and horn ? You DO know that it was NOT your horn, nothing changes on the horn that makes you play BETTER, so it had to be you, your mechanics was different and you need to figure THAT out. In my opinion you should locate a “Pro” that is coming close to your area like Mr. Vizzutti, or Mr. Hession, Roger Ingram, Jim Manley…..THIS level of Pro and get a lesson from them, have them get their eyes on you. What you will learn will be invaluable, and these guys are good at seeing what you are doing on the horn !!! They will bring you closer to your trumpet body mechanics than you thought possible. And they are ALL great guys !!! Keep up the good work Mark, it’s nice to hear things are working well for you.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Mark, merely the realization that you were relaxed is the key. As stated before they are "Just notes." It is stated that when Conrad Gozzo played "Trumpeter's Prayer," he played it in "one take." His take was after he read the score once. Music prepared for him were prepared with no markings above the music; therefore, his interpretation was hand written by himself. The Conductor's respected him that much. He had Confidence after much practice, usually 6 hrs. per day. His other nickname was "Ironlip." Google it on Youtube and listen. It is very inspirational. Best Regards.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    seriously? and what you had for breakfast, and the barometric pressure reading that night... your biorythym chart and where was the moon in relation to Saturn...
    Rowuk, I feel your pain

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    coolerdave.....whats up with that......

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay, it's a golden fleece .... the old too much analysis causes paralysis deal too
    .. it sounds logical that you could figure it out but all that thinking just messes with your head ... and to be honest so many variables

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Yeah your right it sure does mess with your head. Thats whay I suggested to Mark that he have someone get their eyes on him.
    They take away a lot of the variables for you : )

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks for the posts!
    I have had some issues with overthinking, at times, but I agree that finding a pro that can teach would be a good step to take. Are there any suggestions for great teachers near me (Gainesville/Ocala for the jazz genre? Otherwise I could always try to get somewhere to get lessons. I want to replicate that feeling, but coolerdave is right I feel --- if I try too hard to do it, I'll just end up with poor results.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Mark I believe Tom Hooten is still the principle chair in the Atlanta Symphony. It might be worth your while
    contacting him. : )
    It's also good to watch for acts coming through, you may run into a pro that would be willing to meet
    with you for an afternoon.