Turning "great days" into habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Sometimes it's not so much what we did that night, but also what we did the day before.It all affects not only our chops,but also our mind and body.This is why it's so important to have an intelligent routine, it incourages consistentcy.Usually we have exceptionally good days when we do things right and not so exceptional days when we do things our regular way.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Not too much to add here --- and Mark you already know this (with your schedule of playing at college being a bit hectic) --- I have good days, then if it is too good of a day I try to reproduce it the next day --- but my chops are in need of rest. Now 4 days from a good day, that may be another good day if I have disciplined myself to not go over the High C for a few days, and did more or less a couple of days of easy, slow, soft playing. but, I can't always convince myself to "take it easy" --- but if you could get on a pattern of 3 days rest (maybe 2 for a young guy like you) -----------

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's just my thinking ... good habits make good days, and when this applies to our trumpet playing, the well established habits we've learned make for good performance. Note that I did not say great performance, as only the audience can determine that. I like the formal stage where as the performance begins the house lights are dimmed. My concentration then focuses on the music and conductor, just as it was in rehearsal.

coolerdave and kingtrumpet like this.
  4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    sounds like you had a breakthrough (in group). Nice one!:-)

5. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    All because of the new mouthpiece right :)

coolerdave likes this.
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am greatful that every day is DIFFERENT. I have no desire to have a habit of great days. I can really appreciate what tougher days do for my character. It forces me to be creative in other ways, pull other tricks out of the hat, discover new depths. The only way to ace everything is to always play "safely". That is REAL BORING!!!

Granted, the smart lower the odds of blowing it by practicing smart, but the real smart build real LIFE INTO THEIR PLAYING. Integrate your soul into your playing. The results are phenomenal!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Most learning and retaining is by the mode of rote until such becomes habit. Such is only the foundation of our proficiency and creativeness. "Tricks out of the hat" are only passing illusions that most don't know how are accomplished because we didn't learn to become magicians. I personally find music to be the best way to aleviate boredom, whether I produce it or listen to the performance of others. I've no desire to be uniquely different than others ... I want to blend in harmony with them.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Keep getting into better and better bands. Your playing will improve alot faster if you are consistently challenged. I agree with Rowuk, you have to get into the "red zone" now and then to keep expanding the horizons. Where your "Red Zone" is depends on you... it should change over time.

I think the point is that what you think of as a "great day" now can become your "normal" tomorrow, but then you have to re-adjust what you consider to be a "great day" to something different to keep improving, avoid getting bored and stagnant. When you are nailing G's always, then a "great day" will be effortless A's or Bb's..., or maybe improvising and nailing the changes on the bridge of a difficult tune, double tonguing like a tap dancer, or whatever floats your boat!

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks all! Sorry, I have gotten distracted from this thread.

It's true--- playing safely can be boring! I'll try to keep raising my standards, pushing myself, and continue my practicing, consistently. I do like the bit about making sure to put feeling into it though -- can't ever go wrong there.

Thanks again!

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's the great days that keep us going. The light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. never be afraid to walk the tightrope. I can't remember who said it here, but find players that are better than yourself and play with them. It makes you push your envelope.