Turning "great days" into habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So can constantly being "corrected" and agreeing with your "betters".

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I like your picture of BIX.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mark... Still in your Happy place?

I am there every night I play my horns, which I play every night. Why? Because I relax... and my goals are to improve on my own abilities... and not to sound like this person or that person... or work toward a finite, critical goal... I play to challenge myself... to take risks... and through risks, make discoveries... then continue on those discoveries the next night I sit down to play on the horns... AND just having my 3 doggies there, with their tiny dark eyes focused on me while I play... well that gives me a special inspiration as well.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mark, consider yourself darned lucky that you are not my student. I expected my students and colleagues to have the highest standards at all times. We may have to lower our expectations in order to remain sane, but the standards are still there.

"Caring about what you are doing is considered either unimportatant or taken for granted." My challenge to you, Mark is to A. find the book this quote comes from (and read it!), B. assimilate this “caring” stuff into your trumpet playing, and C. tell us about your journey.

Have fun!

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig
    Sounds like fun, I'll give it a go!

I always think I have high standards, and then continue to find ways to raise the bar. Thank you for helping me to do so!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES --GM, the 3 doggies, looking at you with LOVE in their eyes, either that or they are waiting for you to drop from hypoxia --- and you remind them of a BIG hamburger!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- NOW that I think about it -- your trumpet playing has "gone to the dogs" -- and they are happy!!! I wonder now - if the dogs could "speak", what would they say of your improvement each night.
    So -- MARK -- here is the lesson in all of this --- find an audience, that is tolerable of YOU trying something new, and if you make a mistake -- your audience should be like the "DOGS", and always be forgiving --- maybe you should be forgiving of yourself Mark, and try to ALWAYS improve. Find an audience that ADORES you (whether you play the trumpet or not) --- OH WAIT, always bring your audience a bag of "kibbles n' bits", or some cans of "alpo" ---- that way they will always love you -- and you will always be THE BEST YOU CAN BE to them!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL and always be -- THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE TO YOURSELF IN YOUR PLAYING -- and that is the best habit to build - isn't it????? yes, the dogs, they are the smart ones -- they already learned the following out of life --- PLAY, LOVE, and BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    KT, I want what ever you are having. Looks like fun!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it is just life my friend. Finding humor (humour) in most things, having a positive outlook, and being confident of my faith in Jesus, and knowing that this life is merely an adventure, that we can be "depressed" about -- because of the ups and downs (financial, health, friends, etc) -- or that we can "live" and be happy, and help others when we are able.

AND keeping all of that in perspective, much like this thread --- we try to make the trumpet, and life -- a good habit, a reproducible lifestyle, and (on those occasional bad days - trumpet and/or life) -- WE GET BACK UP, AND WE PROCEED WHERE WE LEFT OFF --- we advance, we learn, and we go on, and don't forget to TRY to enjoy it all!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    patkins likes this.
  9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Had another great day (not a G day, but a good day nevertheless!)
    Seems the advice is working, and honestly it helps me to get into the music when I feel more connected to the horn.

Thanks all!