Turning Ideas Into Songs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Dec 27, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey all, hope you guys had a merry time at this time of the year, if you celebrate it. :-)

Sorry if there are already posts about this, or if it is in the wrong place or my spelling/grammar is bad. Anyway...

I have come up with a couple of, what I think, are good musical ideas (as in riffs) after my 9 or so months of playing. But what can I do with them? I don't want them to remain a riffs until I forget them...

Usually, what I'll do is show one of my very good musical buddies my riffs and he helps to come up with the rest of the songs. But what I want to know is...

What methods does one use develop a WHOLE song, and how do I maintain interest for the listener?

Here's one of my ideas:

https://soundcloud.com/the-riddle-1/jazzy-jingle

I hope you enjoy it and if you have any extra ideas to add to it try and describe in the best detail.
    (Or I could just leave it as a jingle)! :dontknow:

Thank you all very much.

Sorry if it's not very clear, I'm a bit tired after Christmas you see. :D

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    That's quite a nice little tune you've got there. Here are a few ideas on variation of the theme:
    - Change of key
    - Change of time signature
    - Alternate syncopation of rhythm
    - Augmentation of rhythm
    - Change of tonality
    - Changing tempo
    - Changing style (i.e. you could use straight eighths instead of swung eighths in a section, for example)
    - Changing the texture of the piece by adding or taking away instruments at certain points
    - Add one or more solo sections for more contrast

You may even want alternate sections with different riffs and chord progressions to the original melody. Perhaps have a solo introduction to lead into the piece?

It's a nice jazzy idea mate, try to keep it as yours and not someone else's. You feel much more accomplished afterwards.

3. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Thank you very much mctrumpet98! I will surely try to incorporate those ideas into it.

Other ideas are also always welcome, or any comments about my recording too. :)

Thanks again.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown