Twilight zone A Passage for Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MFfan, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Just watched this intersting twilight zone episode on Sci-Fi.
    A Passage for Trumpet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think Jack Klugman's character, Joey Crown, was playing a King Liberty with valve block nipples. Don't know who did the actual playing, but it was a sweet, mellow , plaintive tone to the melodic theme, certainly not what I have heard Liberty's sound like. The character "Gabe" that Joey meets, while"dead" is also playing a trumpet. Not sure what it is, but I could see it had a single brace and abnormally thick valve caps, otherwise a pretty conventional design. Unfortunately, this episode is not available on CBS site to watch anytime.:-(

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If I remember correctly, Klugman didn't do such a hot job pretending to play the horn.

3. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    soundes cool it would be nice to know who and on what did it.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    No wonder he wasn't working....a drunk playing a C trumpet at a jazz club!

5. King Leopardi

King Leopardi Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2008
    It looks like one of the earlier Liberty models with the )( bracing, although I've got a Liberty from 1939 with those earlier braces. Probably because it was made for the military, H.N. White used the older style tooling so as not to compete with their more modern line. Just a thought...

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    He did fumble through the episode. They are running a whole bunch of the old Rod Sterling episodes this week. You might get a chance to catch it on a repeated time slot.

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    A while back I asked about who did the playing......it seems that most likely it was Uan Racey.

The playing is perfect!