Twist your Valves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gasp1974, Apr 9, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I read somewhere that the valves in some trumpets aren't completely round.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Then twisting them would probably not be an option.
    v

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    they start life round. As we do not push straight down, the wear is uneven and therefore "unround". The wear makes the valve ever smaller and the casing bigger so twisting becomes even LESS of an issue!

4. gasp1974

gasp1974 Piano User

Jan 27, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks y`all for your inputs

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I would expect exactly this out-of-roundness as the instrument wears - what I wouldn't expect would be for an instrument manufacturer to grind a valve off-round - think of the tolerance stack-up - the difficulty of ensuring that the ports are aligned - that the valve went in the casing at exactly right angle. The expense would be prohibitive. Round valves and round cases are rather easier to manufacture than off-round, the process is easily repeatable, and cost efficient.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Aha!!
    Another missed opportunity. I can see it now:
    The finest hand-crafted trumpets and cornets from Eccentric Trumpet Company.
    Now you can own a truly one-of-a-kind instrument for the kind of investment usually reserved for string players. Check us out at the ETC website: http://www.horns.etc.com. Don't forget to ask about our new line of rotary valved instruments. No lubrication needed because with our innovative design, rotating valves are a thing of the past!

v:-P

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :laughwave: Perfect - "That's me, that's me"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  8. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Valves -pistons- are honed on the lathe, later by hand.
    Don't be scared, unless you twist'em with some violence and inclination.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Funny enough, the rotary valves on my picc do not need to be oiled! They have sealed ball bearings at the top and bottom. The valves thmselves are made of carbon fiber and the casings of red brass, so nothing really sticks to them. All I have to do is keep the horn clean. The manufacturer of the valves is Lätzsch in Bremen, Germany.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    rowuk - as a past machinist and a journeyman machine repairman that is a very interesting set up on your rotary trumpet. That just makes so much sense, how long have they been making rotary valves like that. I can see that it would be expensive to make but the only maint. would be to clean the valve and maybe replace the bearings once in a great while. The seals on sealed bearing never last forever. Now all we need is to let Latzch to design a better piston set up.