Two Embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdshankles, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey team,

Do any of you ever feel like you have two embouchures? I had this revelation today while practicing. I couldn't get a good resonating high Bb to save my life and it was quite frustrating. As I continued to work with it, I realized I was unconsciously switching back and forth between two slightly different embouchures. I think the two were fighting for position because once I picked one, the Bb opened up. Eventually, both seemed to work (in all ranges). Now I guess I should pick one and stick with it....hmmm.... ;-)

Thoughts?

--JD

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    JD,

Borrow a copy of Jim Thompson's Buzzing Book (assuming you don't have one) and read what he says on the subject. . . very interesting.

Best,
    EC

3. orchestra_trumpet_star

orchestra_trumpet_star New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    if possible, pick the one that feels more natural (the one where the mouthpiece seems to go when you first pick up the horn)...

just my 2 cents

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey JD...I second Ed's advice. I sense a big lightbulb in your future. LOL. Jim's method will certainly clear things up for you.

5. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks you guys! The book is in the mail as of last night:)

--JD

6. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    JD
    I too have a double embouchure problem that I am working toward correcting. It can be truely frustrating at times. I think everyone is right on track, pick one and stick with it. That is working for me, along with really focusing on doing things slowly and the right way the first time so as not to introduce bad habits that need to be addressed later.