Two mouthpieces in a performance... where to put the one not in use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Feb 6, 2016.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Dropped into a local concert band, not a random community band, either... I'll need to use a high-note piece, because first book and high notes!

How do you manage one vs. the other? Shirt pocket? Stand?

Any advice welcome.

Oh, which high note piece? I play the Al Cass 1-28 and the high note piece is the 3X3-28. Same rim, cup, and throat as the 1-28 but magic happens and above the staff is lots easier.

Thanks

Tom

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I'm always using my own music stand - a torpedo orchestra stand that has a hand-made wooden tray fixed to it. And that tray has five holes for mutes, one smaller hole for one "leg" of the bucket mute and two small holes for mouthpieces... and enough space for little thingies like oil bottle, cleaning rag etc.

That tray is 20" by 3" and screwed to a metal contraption that holds it to the stem of the torpedo stand. And that contraption - just a half-ring with a crossbar and two wingnuts to screw it tight, and two extensions to hold the wood - can me made by anyone handy with a welding torch. Mine was made in about ten minutes by my auto mechanic. The whole thing spray-painted black - and hey presto - no problems any more!

3. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Drilled my Peak stand with 4 mp holes.

Carefully filed my mute corks so I can pick up from the floor with the bell. A mute rack would be nice, but this works.

4. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I would use a mouthpiece pouch. My Protec fabric one is great.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've always used the stand if I need 2 mpcs.

6. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    All of the above -
    Shirt Pocket (if available) or trouser pocket to keep it at temperature

7. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I would think that you keep the unused MP somewhere where it could be maintained at body temperature. When I get my horn out to practice, I always hold the MP in my hand or in my pocket for awhile before using it in my horn.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have switched horns in a concert, so the second mouthpiece was inserted in the second horn, on a trumpet stand. I do like the idea of a hole on the trumpet stand, or an extension where a mouthpiece or two would fit.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If I plan on using two different mouthpieces on a gig (and am using just one horn), I just lay the extra one on the ledge of the music stand or put it in an empty pants pocket. However, the vast majority of the time, it's one mouthpiece for any given horn.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Put on the stand ledge, or in a pocket.