Two piece bells

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maine trumpeter, Aug 20, 2006.

1. maine trumpeter

maine trumpeter Pianissimo User

Aug 17, 2006
    What are your thinking on these? I Know that the old school of thinking, that they were not as good.
    Thanks

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    There have been many threads about this on TM and TH. It seems that both one and two piece bells are used today by the great trumpet makers. It doesn't seem to matter.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    All the horns I play have two-piece bells. They play beautifully. It comes down to craftsmanship and overall design of the horn. It's never about just one aspect.

ML

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    When Besson were designing the Prestige cornet they tried one and two piece bells - the overwhelming majority of the playtesters preferred the two piece, so that is what they went with.

As Manny said, there is more to the discussion than just whether a bell is one or two piece.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I was buying a piano once and listened to the sales person tell me that the piano that he had was better and more expensive because the keys were counter weighted. He pushed down a key and showed me the black weight inserted in the side. He told me that this was the mark of a good piano.

When he was done my wife and I shopped around his store for a while more and I went up to the cheapest piano I could find and looked. Guess what I found.

At the next piano store, the same thing. They all had it.

The point I'm trying to make is, just because a manufacturer picks one aspect of the trumpet making to highlight or market doesn't make it the best. It's just a way of selling.

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Andy Taylor, one of a few left in this world who still makes bells, bells for trumpets, Bone, French horns, etc. For his trumpets, he makes a two piece bell.

Just think about it for a minute what the difference is in construction and how it might affect the sound.

The one piece bell has a sound deadening lead solder seam down through the entire bell right to the tip.

The two piece bell has this same seam only until about 5 inches from the end. The bell end itself is solid.

In your opinion, which bell would seem to have the capability of a better and a more even resonance?

Liad Bar-EL

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Monette

Eclipse

Lawler

'nough said!

-cw-

8. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Chuck,

Add Taylor to the list of two piece bell trumpets.

Liad