Two questions: 1 personal, 1 discussion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Butifnot,

Is it safe to asume, then, that you're not studying with anyone?

ML

2. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    I had an instructor and am thinking about it again this year; he is an older gentleman with a Ph.d in brass instruction, I believe. Out of two years with him I got surprisingly little, as he focuses more on "Let's play your piece", which is understandable; there aren't the greatest of musicians that he tends to teach nowadays (at the HS). I have addressed this (structure of a practice session) with him but didn't come to a solid conclusion as to a practice session or a warm-up that actually warms me up, personally. There is a cloud of a session idea in Rubank's but it doesn't include buzzing, warm-downs...
    Thanks for the input.

3. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    :-) Thx for the input. I'm looking at the article.
    [edit]Now, that's one nice article. Thanks; it helps. I wish I had the books they refer to other than the Arban (those 14 characteristic studies are quite difficult).
    [edit2]So, what I got (generally speaking, as I can't be 100% specific without the materials) from the article is 1 relaxed playing focusing on making the right sounds, 2 technique and 3 power.
    [edit3]...which is good, because, surprisingly, a short, three-line warm-up/chorale that I wrote for the HS trumpet section follows this pattern. :D Yes.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Sigmund Herring's Progressive Etudes. Its a Red book.

VOXMAN Cocert and Contest Pieces for trumpet.

I'm also thinking of Concone.... :D

Herring gives you a lot of notes to work on making sound beautiful. The Voxman is actual pieces at the level I believe you're at. In my honest opinion, playing actual pieces gives the player a lot of stuff to work on. You try to make the piece sound like it should, makes you work harder. The Concone is beautiful stuff, really really REALLY lyrical...

Van