Two questions RE monette....

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by rjzeller, Jun 27, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    First question: Anyone have a Monette B4 they wanna sell or part with (or know of anyone who does)? It seems nobody has them in stock right now, and I'd rather not wait if I didn't have to (I know, not very patient).

Second question: I keep seeing these Kanstul "replica" mouthpieces that are supposedly exact copies of Monette pieces. Are these actually a true copy or not? I would think that even if they exactly identical, that you'd still have differences due to the type of metal/alloy used, weight, etc...

Thoughts?

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hey fellow Minnesotan,

I play a Monette b6 and I am very happy with it. As far as Kanstul copies of Monette mpces I would have to say they are pretty exact from various posts I have read on here regarding the equipment they use to make there mpces. I am thinking of purchasing a Kanstul copy of a Monette B2, I cant see myself paying another 200 bucks for a Monette mpce. That is the confidence I have in Kanstul Products. To be honest with you, if I would have known that Kanstul did this I would have bought a Kanstul copy before I bought my B6. I am sure others will chime in on how they feel of Kanstuls mpce copies. Kanstul is a big name in the brass community so I am sure they are the "real" deal. Good Luck in your mpce hunt. ;-)

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hi Rjzeller,
    I have the whole Monette B4 line, lol. I love every one of them. Although, to be quit honest, I haven't used them in a few months. I always seem to go back to my Bach 3c. Would I sell the B4?... Prolly not, it is a wonderful piece and when I own a Monette horn (sometime this millenia) it'll be a wonderful mpc set to go with it. As for the Kanstuls, they make great copies of the Monette pieces and are great. I know several cats who use them. They'll even gold plate it, hehe.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm buying a Prana piece soon, and I'm thinking I will get the exact same size as the Kanstul M-B9 I currently use. I'm putting my faith in the testimonials that there is a real difference between Monette and the copies, and I will report to you guys my thoughts.

Van