two sectioned main tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 3, 2006.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I have a vintage C.G. Conn trumpet with two functional sections to the main tuning slide. Each section has its own brace. Can anyone explain the purpose for this arrangement?

2. aneel

aneel Pianissimo User

Sep 28, 2006
    vienna
    Hello! if I`ve pictured this right, what you have is a B flat and C trumpet. take off both the tuning slide and the `middle`slide and then repace only the tuning slide back on to the instrument and you should have a C trumpet, albeit with slightly dodgy tuning probably!

regards A

3. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    Hi,

Does it have a waterkey? If not, then the intermediate slide is to retain your slide position while the outer slide is removed to dump the condensate. Some french horns have this arrangement (lots of nooks anf crannies to try to clear water from).

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Maybe an "A" slide?

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I finish a soldering job on it.

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    It does have a waterkey. I'll be checking to see if it will play in C with the secondary slide removed. Thanks for your input.

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm a bit confused by your reply. Are you saying that it might convert to a key other than B-flat or C. Thanks for your input.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Put the intermediate piece in place. Play a "3rd space C" and watch the tuner (or compare to a piano). Did it play a Bb? or an A? If it played a Bb, then removing the slide will make it play sharper, or concert C; and the horn is a "Bb/C". If it played an A, then removing the slide will make it play sharper, or concert Bb; and the horn is an "A/Bb".

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thank you for contributing this knowledge. I had no idea there was an "A/Bb" trumpet. I'll follow your directions as soon as I finish a soldering job on the horn.

10. connloyalist

connloyalist Pianissimo User

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    My guess would be high pitch / low pitch. With the extra slide section in the instrument would be in (modern) low pitch (A=440 Hz), without in high pitch (which is about A = 456 Hz, if memory serves).

Regards, Christine