Two Totally Seperate Questions in One Thread, Just Because

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Maui_Jimmy, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    OK, Question #1. On the TM Home Page is an ad for the New York Trumpet Company. They have a gold plated Destino for $2,300. The ad has been there as long as I have been a member. What happened to the Company? I have found posts talking about their great trumpets, but where did they go?

Question 2. If you clear lacquer or enamel a trumpet how is that any different than using a colored lacquer or enamel on the trumpet? I know all the discussion between raw, lacquered / enameled and silver / gold plated. Just trying to understand what difference there is between a clear coat and a colored coat.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Answer 1: Not sure about the company, here's some stuff on the Destinos though...

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/destino-r-i-p-34907.html --- Link to forum about them supposedly stopping being made. But then here's Doc's site:

Doc Severinsen | Trumpets

So I assume they're now made by a different brand.

Answer 2: I don't assume it makes much sound difference, the physics really suggest that clear coat and colored coat would have roughly the same specs and same sound. I think colored might just look tacky (if we're talking blue or something here)

3. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
  4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I love that trumpet......

5. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
  6. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    Thanks Mark :0)

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The homepage ad is an artifact from the "backup" copy of TM which was imported into the new forum engine a few months ago when Todd moved the site. I bought a horn from Felix in that sale in 2008, but that was then and this is now. I imagine at some point the TM owner weill get the ads updated to reflect the support of the current advertisers.

Most or all of the horns sold as Stage 1 by NYTC were/are built by Gary Stoner: Stoner Music Inc.
    His site still indicates he makes the Stage 1s, but we have not heard from Felix in a long time. He is a great person to deal with, and I certainly hope the business is still viable.

Coloration in lacquer, depending on the pigment used, may or may not add significant weight to the final coating. The commonly used "gold" lacquer seems to be about the same weight as the clear.