Type IV upstreamplayers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Jun 26, 2009.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    According to Donald S. Reinhardt some of (what he call) type IV upstream trumpetplayers play with dry lips or at least the upper lip to prevent the MP from slipping down of the top lip. I asked Andrea Tofanelli who also is an upstreamplayer like me and he said he plays with dry lips or he will have no endurance. I also know that Wynton who is an type IV upstream also plays with dry lips.
    I just reacently started thinking about this becouse I play with very wet lips and I´m also a type IV upstream player and I sometimes have some problems with the MP slipping down from my top lip.

Any type IV reading this? wet or dry for you???

If there is someone who do not know who Mr. Andrea Tofanelli is you should go listen to him right now!! http://www.screamtrumpet.com/andrea.html

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Dry ! If wet, I cannot... So, after drinking a good glass of Bordeaux wine, I always dry my lips !

RobertSlotte likes this.
  3. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Dupac,

so you are upstream`? give me more details, I would like to know more :)

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I am a wet player. I like my chops to feel moist. Always have a bottle of water with me on the bandstand. I have no problem with endurance, tone, range, etc w/wet lips.

Vice versa, if I play with dy lips, I'm HORRIBLE! No flexibility, etc....

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Just to humor those of use who have been out of the loop for awhile, could you explain what on earth a Type IV Upstream player is? (I know what an 'up creek' player is - someone whose spouse is mad at them).

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    RobertSlotte : Yes I am. But I'm not as clever as you are about trumpet... The only sort of detail I can give is that if my lips are wet my mouthpiece is always slipping in all directions. So I use to wipe lips from time to time...

7. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    It's basically a 1/3 top 2/3 bottom embouchure, you can read this article for more details. An Introduction to Donald S. Reinhardt's Pivot System

I'm also a IV and I play with a wet embouchure and a gold mouthpiece. Its much more comfortable to move around and I get a better sound, flexibility and sound this way. By the way, its finally nice to see some other IV players, everyone I know is a downstream player.

8. Garyleadandjazz

Garyleadandjazz New Friend

Jun 4, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    I had one lesson with Dr. Reinhardt right before he died. He told me that I was a 4a upstream and tried to get me to go wet, which never happened. He seemed to have some really good specific embouchure knowledge that he developed, but I thought he gave out too much to think about. For me, studying with Carmine Caruso was more helpful and the Claude Gordon Systematic Approach to Daily Practice works really well for me. I was traveling with Ringling Bros. B&B Circus in 1980 playing lead when I first started using the Gordon book and this routine absolutely saved my a$$! In a one week period I went from hanging on for dear life to ending shows on double c's and playing the whole show with real consistency without hurting my chops. Don't get me wrong, I was playing the show pretty well before Gordon, but twisting, straining, hurting my chops a lot and making it through the shows by sheer will power.

If you are trying to use the Reinhardt method, you really need to get a good teacher who personally studied with him. I don't think his book is all that helpful without a teacher.

9. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I play the same way. :play:

10. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Any other upstream player notice that their embochure is extremely sensitive to movement, like marching?