Type IV upstreamplayers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Not wishing to sound ignorant, unfortunately I do most of the time, could someone direct me to some resources that explain this 'upstream - downstream' philosophy? This is the first time I have heard these terms.

Ray Z :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    An Introduction to Donald S. Reinhardt's Pivot System
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    tobylou8 likes this.
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Laymens terms, when you blow into the mouthpiece naturally, does the air go down or up? Lip buzz and see where you feel the air. That is a pretty good indication. Some guys try to change to match a certain player (dumb) and fight nature. Maynard was a downstream player and Doc is an upstream player. Some refer to the upstream embouchure as "bulldog" chops cause your chin sticks out. I've tried it and the air still goes down!! HAHAHA. The OP has a link to the study with the info you're looking for.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Dupac likes this.
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Is that covered by medicaid?? :lol:

6. wilktone

wilktone New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Being upstream or downstream has nothing to do with the jaw position or horn angle, as was implied above. It is related to where the player places the mouthpiece. When a player places the mouthpiece with more upper lip inside (most common), the air stream will get directed downward in the mouthpiece. When the player places the mouthpiece with more lower lip inside (less common) the air stream goes up and the embouchure is upstream.

Some players can make themselves play as either, but one will work better than the other, depending on the player's physical anatomy. I prefer to teach players to find what works best and stick with it, playing their entire range this way.

Here is a resource I put together that describes air stream direction in more detail.

Dave

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. wilktone

wilktone New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Asheville, NC

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    "When a player places the mouthpiece with more upper lip inside (most common), the air stream will get directed downward in the mouthpiece. When the player places the mouthpiece with more lower lip inside (less common) the air stream goes up and the embouchure is upstream."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm. I play 1/3 top 2/3 bottom and blow downstream. So what is that? According to that info I would have to be upstream. I also have an overbite that isn't severe but is there. I've read through the Reinhardt material before and it is interesting. I've tried to blow upstream and it isn't comfortable at all. Also have done Maggio's (?) blowing exercise (tip of the nose then down to the chin). Almost impossible for me to "hit" the tip of my nose with any air. Maybe if my nose was longer! :D I do agree that you can switch back and forth but for me, upstream is nasally, pinched and whiny sounding. And since Maynard was a downstream player and I have one of his mpcs and just bought a Holton ST-302 MF Horn... ! :D When I play my Severinsen, I'll try upstream! As far as a mpc selection, even Doc isn't sure what he's playing now so... :-)

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Toby,

IMHO, the best is … to stop thinking and analyze too much : just put the mouthpiece on the lips and let nature take its course. And play ! :play:

"Almost impossible for me to "hit" the tip of my nose with any air" :
    Actually this can be called upstream playing ! :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012