Type IV upstreamplayers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Jun 26, 2009.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    100%!! I was introduced to the system by accident when I was looking at a weird mpc on e-Bay that said it was a"pivot" mpc. I think "paralysis through analysis" is a definite possibility here ( I wonder if Arturo studied this while being raised in Cuba?) ROFL

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    39 out of 40 where DS players! WOW! Good read.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

MUTANT.

Turtle

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe a little "Ninja" too?? ROFL

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Yeah but the best are upstream! :evil:
    I have a list ... :evil: :evil:

Of course, I know, it's stupid. Just kidding…

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    According to Wilktone's resource (thanks Dave!), I have been trying to be a straight ahead, not upstream or downstream player, recently, without much luck. I just got a new mouthpiece that fits better than my old one (B3 instead of B2), and I've been working on it a lot lately (no teacher at the moment). It was MAKING ME CRAZY. :)woop:). Apparently, if you're not going either upstream or downstream, you're GOING NOWHERE!

So, I watched a Chris Botti video that I have ...... Chris is obviously a downstream player, as you can see the ring on his upper lip, as he's playing the concert. HIS mouthpiece placement couldn't be easier to see .... so, I tried it. And how were the results, you're probably wondering?

:-)

Type V: The Bottichure.

(Maybe I need another teacher .....:dontknow:)

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So if you get his trumpet and his embouchure, you can sub for him on his gigs! :D

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Just one subbed gig would probably pay for a college education. Dang, the dude is making some $, isn't he??? :roll:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep!!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO dry lips connote a dry mouth and that means the potential development of oral / dental health issues. I've always had a slight overbite, but when marching my trumpet was level, even if I had to tip my head back some. As for mouthpieces, I just haven't had a problem and seem to be able to make do with about any and that includes Parduba and Assymmetrics. I wouldn't say my lips are dry, but every once in awhile when there is a rest, as I inhale a breath, I'll conclude with a sucking pucker that seems to remove excess wetness. Too, I'll say a bit of mustache stubble seems to assist in securing the mpc. All in all, I'm one just to say it is a matter of tactile feel and position comfort that ascertains YOUR embouchure.

As for the cleft palate and buck teeth, there are surgical and dental remedies.

The worst part of the wetness comes from perspiration that seems to drool all over my face when I'm hot viz summer or stage lighting ... time for the hand towel if I can.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012