Types of Bands/musical groups associated with trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Dec 26, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Beer?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What, we're talking beer. This is Vulgano Brother yes?:think:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Surprisingly (or not so) Taps does have a bit to do with beer. The German Zapfenstreich and Dutch doe den tap toe have to do with turning off the taps on the beer kegs so the soldiers would return to their barracks.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Back in college, in North Jersey, the only work I could get as a trumpet player was in Latin bands.

This is me back around 1980, in the back on the right. It was a typical Latin band -- piano, bass, 3 horns ... and 15 percussionists. :-)

Mike

[​IMG]

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    In this part of the country (East Coast/ Carolinas and VA) we have "Beach Bands" which typically have horn sections.

Rock/Funk/R&B/Disco bands with live horns as opposed to sequenced or digital/keyboard horns are referred to as "Horn Bands" where I grew up

Your experience may vary....

6. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Los Blues, a group from the southwest, they only recorded on album in 71 for United Artists and I have it on vinyl. Great horn section, great musicians from top to bottom. Saxophonist, Cleto Escobedo was a member. His son Cleto Jr.leads the band on Kimmel and I believe Cleto Sr. plays with them. They go by Cleto and The Cletones. I don't know if they are still the house band on Kimmel, I can't stay up late enough to watch.
    YouTube has some audio clips of Los Blues from their only album. Worth checking out.
    I don't recall seeing Earth Wind and Fire mentioned in the thread, another great horn section and a great band.
    Blood, Sweat and Tears with Lou Soloff, Dave Bargeron, Fred Lipsius and Chuck Winfield were killers.
    I have always liked the sound of Chicago's horns. Lee Loughnane is a very fine player. He's got a really nice, warm sound but is not mentioned in a lot of threads. Not a screamer but a vastly underrated player.
    Tower Of Power still kicks butt.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Am I the only one who remembers the term "dance band"?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm just going to assume that such a band is playing for tap dancers as is very distinctive music, whereas TAPS is officially sounded by a solo instrument.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Our high school jazz band in the 1970's was call the "dance band".

Mike

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Early Valve Designs