Types of Bands/musical groups associated with trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Dec 26, 2013.

1. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    J.Jerico, My HS Jazz band was referred to as a dance band( The Starlites), and, I'm now in a small one. Yeah, as far as big band type dance bands go, they're almost non-existant now. Replaced by guitars, synths, drums, and DJ's:-(:dontknow::oops:

3. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Awesome picture. Same here in North Jersey :) I was the only horn player that spoke Spanish, but everyone on the band spoke English anyway. Rehearsals and gigs were a blast.

I should have never taken so much intermittent time off, early 90's until last year. One good thing to come out of a divorce was getting my trumpets serviced and playing regularly again.

My initial interest in trumpet started when I used to go see my dad rehearse with his bands on the SAR and Fania Record Label in the 1970's. Good times.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I do. So how do we distinguish among dance, stage, and jazz band? I assume if on the stage and being listened to, it is stage band, dance if people are dancing during the performance, and jazz indicates style unique to the band.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am in a jazz band, that played last night on the stage at Little E's, with people dancing on the floor in front of the stage. So does that make us a Staged Jazz Dance Band?:dontknow:

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Why isn't a punk band several dynamics quieter than a funk band?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Must not have been many patrons ... that's a small venue.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We packed the place for 3 sets. That's all counts.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    gmonady - there's a lot more room at half-filled VFW halls.

Regarding the term "dance band", jazz education history nuts might interested in knowing that at North Texas State College/Univ, the first jazz degree-granting institution in the world, the degree was not originally in Jazz Studies, but in "Dance Band".

In my HS, even my first year in university, the jazz big band was called "dance band" even though hardly ever played dance gigs.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama

Yes, Exactly why I started the thread. To me, the Tonight Show band was a stage band- or should we call it a show band? I grew up playing with the Pennsbury Concert Jazz Band. Not sure where the term concert came from -other than to designate this music was not for dancing but to sit and listen to -like at a concert. Dance bands I would assume play music that is easily danced to. Kenton, Rich seem like stage bands or jazz bands. Assume there is no hard line in using the terms and that they bleed into each other.