Types of Bands/musical groups associated with trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Dec 26, 2013.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Maybe we should coin a new term in Latin so that the boundaries don't shift like they do with a living language.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Æris cohors Brittaniae? Don't see it catching on somehow :-)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wouldn't matter to EBQ, you're guaranteed your fee, but the space of a dance floor subtracts from optimum seating vis cash in the till. GM, you know my dilemma.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's more rewarding to play for a small packed house than for a bigger crowd in a huge venue that looks 3/4 empty. If your pay is based on the door, the more people the better, though.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    People who are dancing are getting thirsty. They're also socially interacting with more folks sometimes than if they were just sitting at a table sipping a drink and chatting with their friends. Plus, club owners are not going to be to keen on bringing you back if you can't keep the people dancing. All venues are not the same.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    All I know is we pack Little E's and are their "Club Favorite" as stated on their web site: Little Es | Jazz & Blues Club. That evening we had 4 local musicians (one the president of the Pittsburgh Musician's Union) in the audience. They come there to hear us regularly such that we have become the musicians musicians. They ask us what the owners pay us and we tell them. They went to the club owner and complained, how come you don't pay us locals like the band from Dayton. His reply was, they pack the house to people that use our bar. Yep, it all comes down to legal mind altering substances... AND THE EDDIE BROOKSHIRE QUINTET!!!

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Since you're using my quote and beginning your post with, "All I know is . . . ", I just want to make sure that you know that the intent of my posts are to affirm your comment, not be contrary to it, capice?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh no... I quit knew you were not contrary... I just like to get plugs in for the band every now and then... I capice just fine, ever since I married an Italian... I mean, how can you NOT capice in that situation. [Godfather theme song fades out]

9. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    When we say Jazz Band, Dance Band, Show Band, Big Band...are we covering the ground/style of bands like Kenton put together and called Symphonic Jazz or jazz orchestras ?

Certainly different composition and size of the bands, intent, and styles. Or is that slicing things too fine ?

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's slicing things too fine. The Paul Whiteman Orchestra had strings, but the Stan Kenton Orchestra didn't.