UBC

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by eisprl, Feb 10, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Just wondering what kind of Jazz program the University of British Columbia has. Can anyone contribute?

E.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Eric, there is a guy named "G-Man" who would have a pretty good idea. If you can find his email or pm through the members list he'd be able to give you some idea. I have a brother-in-law who works at U.Vic (and studies jazz flute there) but I'm not sure what kind of jazz program they actually have. Of course, Nanaimo is reknown for their music (think "Diane Krall") but that is either through a college rather than a university and/or private conservatories.

If you are interested in U.Vic at all let me know and I'll ask my wife's brother. You do realize that the cost of living etc. is going to be higher in BC than in some other provinces. (Although the climate can make up for it).

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Ingrid & Christine Jensen are also from Nanaimo.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Right you are. I wish I'd known the question a day earlier... I just got back after 3 days in Vancouver! LOL. Lovely weather for a change.

Micheal Kaeshammer is also from Vancouver although I don't know where he studied (an incredible jazz pianist.... check him out if you get the chance).

We won't tell anyone that Pamela Anderson is also from Nanaimo, will we? (Of course, her talent isn't exactly musical although she can apparently hum pretty well). :D

5. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Actually I hear very little of the jazz program at UBC but I do know two of the three people who are instructors in that program. Fred Stride is a trumpet player, conductor and composer and leads the Jazz band at UBC as well he is the senior lecturer for Jazz studies at UBC. Fred has been on the Jazz scene here in Vancouver for the past 30 years and was probably very instrumental in really starting the jazz studies program at UBC. I have played many of his charts and he is a fine composer. He also spends time adjudicating at many of the Jazz festivals. He is very knowledgeable in this field. The other person who works at UBC in the Jazz studies area is another trumpet/piano player named Alan Matheson. I heard Alan play recently and he is a very gifted performer. He also composes and along with UBC he also teaches at Capilano College. When I here about Jazz studies in Vancouver more often it is about the program at Capilano College or at Douglas College. The Jazz bands at Douglas College are led by Blair Fisher who is also a trumpet player and he also conducts the community jazz band that I play in. He has been a very good conducter for us and his bands at the college play very well especially his Douglas College Monday Night Band. These colleges all have transfer programs. If you need more information I can try to find out more. Hope this helps some.

6. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    UBC School of Music - Jazz Studies Faculty
    Full Time Faculty
    David Metzer

Associate Professor

Twentieth-Century Studies, History of Jazz

David Metzer's research interests include twentieth-century music, cultural studies, jazz and popular styles. He is working on a study of racial and sexual representations in a variety of twentieth-century idioms. He has had articles published in Musical Quarterly, Cambridge Opera Journal and the Journal of the American Musicological Society. During his graduate studies at Yale, he received a Jacob K. Javits Fellowship and an Andrew W. Mellon Dissertation Fellowship. He was appointed to the U.B.C. faculty in 1995.

E-mail address: [email protected]
    For more information, visit Web: http://www.music.ubc.ca/grad/grad_metzer.html

Sessional Faculty
    Alan Matheson

Sessional Lecturer

Trumpet and Jazz Piano

Alan Matheson has worked with a variety of local groups including the Vancouver Symphony, Vancouver Opera orchestra and Fred Stride’s Big Band. He has also performed with such renowned artists as Clark Terry, Phil Woods and Louis Bellson. His compositions and arrangements have been performed by Martin Hackleman, Julia Nolan and Clark Terry. He has also been featured on C.B.C. Radio, and at the Montréal, Paris and Tartu (Estonia) Jazz Festivals.

Fred Stride

Senior Lecturer, Director, UBC Jazz Ensemble

Jazz Theory and Arranging

As a composer and arranger, Fred Stride has written many pieces for jazz ensemble, as well as countless arrangements for various entertainers and performers in almost every musical setting: from small ensembles to big bands, concert bands to symphony orchestras, as well as for television, radio and records. As a performer, director and arranger, he has also recorded several albums. In non-jazz areas, he has written for brass quintet, string quartet and studio orchestras, as well as the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, several of which works were commissioned by the C.B.C. Fred Stride also works as a clinician, adjudicator and teacher at various jazz workshops and summer camps.

7. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Tootsall,

You should have contacted me while you were in Vancouver

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    G- I thought about calling you but didn't get the opportunity. By the time we finished with our meetings each day, had "company dinner", and then the usual evening bull-session there wasn't time.