Ugliest case contest...show us the scariest instrument case you can!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Dec 22, 2014.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Per suggestion by another TM'er on another thread, I thought a fun idea.
    Let's see that stinky horror you carry around...or hide.
    I am enthused because at the moment I happen to have onhand a pretty scary example...which I'll post tomorrow for your horror/shudder.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am sure mine was owned by a Swede who liked Surströmming.

Visually it does not look great, but the smell is to die of.... not for.

I think only Nordic people will understand the extreme stench - will never be replicated in a photo.

Cheers

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    This is probably my worst one. The lining is stained and ripped, and the padding behind it looks to be some sort of straw. It's 150 years old, though, so I'll cut it some slack...

This is the only pic I have of it that's handy right now.
    [​IMG]

As far as being scary-looking, it is shaped sort of like a coffin...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had a nasty Pinto case but I fixed it. All the foam had disintegrated. Smelled really good too!! It had stored a Pinto in the garage for decades.

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Both types, I bet!

I used to have an old 1950s Getzen case, but it was thrown out before I could take a picture...literally. :shock:

My Conn flugel case has that vintage smell, but it's more "vintage musty" and mild at that.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I DID have a disgusting King case that had been abandoned in a basement that had FLOODED. It was SO RANK that it had to be immediately thrown away...I am sure the thing probably already had a good vintage funk even before sitting for months in the water..and then sitting for years after that before I traded a clarinet for the trumpet.
    It seems the smells are worse than the looks in this thread. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to email scents?
    Well, in this case...no. but I HAD thought for years theatres could be provided fragrances that would be emitted through the theatre ventilation system timed with the scenes in the movie...
    Imagine the perfume the starlet would wear that you could smell on a closeup scene...
    The smell of salt air when on deck in the movie Titanic...the smell of food in a restaurant scene...the smell of freshly mown grass when an outdoor scene shown...it would add an AMAZING NEW DIMENSION to movie watching. The sense of smell is the strongest memory retained.
    I started thinking about these things back in the seventies when I went to see Poseidon Adventure.
    During the movie...in which the actors were trapped in an upside-down ocean liner...I felt more and more uncomfortable...just as the actors would have been experiencing hot, stale air...I was, too.
    Right when a hole was cut in the hull and life and sunshine streamed back in did I feel a blast of cold air! It was at that point I actually realized how HOT I had gotten, and thought "that was so smart and effective" only to find out when we walked out that the AC system had been broken throughout the whole playing of the movie and it just happened to be fixed right when cold fresh air was rushing through the hole in the ship`s hull saving the trapped characters below.
    There is much that can be done.
    Even now, there could be a market to home theaters for the custom scent system of canisters timed for a movie.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
  8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Like Lutefisk?

9. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009