UK Manny Meet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetmike, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Curiosity

So, all of my UK comrades, did you meet up with Manny? How was the concert? Perhaps you are still out and about or even passed out. :dontknow: I look forward to hearing details. :D

And PICTURES! Don't forget the pictures!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks so much! I am listening to it right now. It is amazing with today's technology that I can listen to an event around the world that just took place hours ago.

As you say Trent, "cool beans". I never understood that one, but I have many friends who use the phrase. What the heck does it mean? :dontknow:

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Alex, c'mon now..it's "What do it mean?!"

-cw-

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Aye, Concert was top class.

Manny is a true gent! We met for beer & curry.

YES there are PICTURES.... over to you TrumpetMike, I'll post my picture of Manny warming up on stage (taken from my seat!!) later this evening.

Manny,when you eventually read this can you remind me of the composer of the quintet we talked about... ta.. , if you read this while in Edinbugh, have a pint of 90 Shilling if you dare!

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Was a great concert, unforuntately had to dash off before Manny came out of the stage door. Was looking for Mike but couldn't see him anywhere (and he's pretty hard to miss!) Brass section sounded fantastic, as to be expected I suppose! Manny's solos were great.

Also managed to find myself in the middle of a group of hardcore prommers, which was... interesting!

Apparently I was on tv, but I suppose none of you know what I look like!

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Firstly - Jack - A crying shame that you weren't able to stick around, it's always good to catch up with you.

Now onto the concert - WOW!
    Right, that sums it up for me.
    I had only experienced Manny's playing on the Monette site clips which did not prepare me for the sheer beauty of the sound he produces. Like David I got into the hall before the concert started and had the joy of seeing/hearing Manny doing some warm up exercises on stage. From that moment on I knew this was going to be an evening to remember.

The Barber was a new piece to me and has joined the list of pieces that I need to hear again. Some very fine playing from the whole orchestra, brass getting special mention for some incredibly delicate moments. This is one of the pieces that requires total cooperation between sections and we got it - no egos, no one-up-manship, 90 (approximately) players working together to perform beautifully.

I must admit, the Beethoven was a pleasant relief for me. The thought of some Osvaldo Golijov's Three Songs wasn't filling me with joy, it is a shame that it couldn't happen but I am a huge Beethoven fan so this was, for me, a delight. Again, the thing which struck me most about the orchestra was the delicacy. There were times when the pianist was playing softly and the orchestra was able to come down in dynamic to match - it was simply stunning.
    The traditional "Heave" "ho" from the Prommers obviously caught out a few of the orchestra, as the piano lid was raised - next time they will remember (this happens EVERY time a piano lid is lifted during the Proms season, one of many, many traditions that this series has). The look of confusion on the face of the leader when she gave the A from the piano and got a round of applause (again, tradition) was an absolute picture. Maybe someone should write all these traditions down so that future visiting orchestras aren't quite so bemused? Then again, where would the fun be in letting them know what is going to happen:lol:

The interval came and went and we reached the musical highlight of the evening for the trumpeters in the audience - Manny's brown trouser moment;-)
    The temptation to do as was suggested and shout "Go Manny go" was very high, but the thought of 4000 people lynching me afterwards was a great silencer.
    I could happily sit here and type a full review of the Mahler, but it would just inflate the egos of the orchestra - quite simply, it was superb. Mahler is so often heard at full pelt, with fortissimos that are out to prove a point ("I have bigger balls than you do!"). Again what struck me here was the control and delicacy that was ever apparent. The balance between strings, wind, percussion and brass (brass especially) was divine. The brass were a colour in the mix, they weren't an overpowering element. There were a few moments when the were allowed to soar over the rest of the orchestra, but generally they were controlled, delicate and (in my view) perfect.
    Special mention must go to the principal horn player - incredible, simply incredible.
    And Manny?
    Well, yeah, he was ok;-)
    He was on top form and it was fantastic to see it live.

Then there was the encore - for anyone who had thought during the Mahler "yeah, but can those trumpeters waggle their fingers?" the encore answered this question and then some - Manny - is there any chance of a copy of that part? An encore that sounded more like Clarke than most Clarke does.
    Loved it.

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    And then the Manny Meet:D

We all know the first question that you are asking - did he wear the hair?

Patience dear readers.

I don't know what they were all doing after the show (probably getting lost in the labyrinth that is the backstage area of the RAH) but it took Manny a while to appear. By the time he had reach the stage door, the Trumpetmaster crowd had met each other, recognised each other (without the aid of avatars!) and got the introductions over and done with. Our illustrious line up was:
    David Quinlan
    Clarino
    Trumpetmike
    along with, not yet TM
    Richard Knights (fellow trumpeter in Surrey Brass)
    Hannah (one of my students)
    Jon (another one of my students)

Manny exited and spotted us with no problems - considering that none of us look like our avatars I was quite impressed with this (although I guess the trumpeters look gives it away - he was just looking for a group of guys all of whom have the ring on their lips). To say that he was a true gentleman would be an understatement. I have had the joy of meeting many of the top trumpeters at various ITG conferences and have come to the conclusion that the better the player, the smaller the ego (they have no need to prove anything). This is certainly the case with Manny - when he was asked to do a tv interview (for the BBC I assume) he said "sorry, I'm hanging with these guys." As it was, he called over the rest of the section and introduced us to them whilst he did the interview.
    Of course, this was our (my) chance - get the section wigged up, then he will have no excuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apologise now for not being able to put names to faces - I am terrible at this at the best of times - if Manny (or one of the others) could add some names to the relevant pictures I would be most grateful.
    So the section had been caught (and willing, strangely enough), now it was just Manny who remained hairless.

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Despite his protestations (and refusal to wear the hair for the interview - now THAT would have been cool:cool: ) he did join in and the result was

[​IMG]

Worth the journey just for that moment.

Manny - knowing that other people took pictures as well, is there any chance of getting copies of those as well, just for completionists sake? Cheers.

So, the pictures had been taken - onwards for food.

Curry seemed to be the order of the day, so we found a curry house, let Manny sweet talk the waitress into staying open for us (great job Manny!) and sat down to enjoy a truly excellent curry (and the most expensive curry i have ever eaten). There is a reason why this curry house had been awarded so many prizes (which were on the wall).

It was at this point that a couple more hair pictures were taken

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Names withheld unless they want to reveal them

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    and the waiter was kind enough to take a couple of pictures of the whole table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was worth going out just to meet you all (first time I had met Manny or Clarino - neither of whom disappoint), even with the problems of getting home afterwards - by the time we had finished eating and chatting with Manny the underground had stopped running, by the time we got back to mainline stations, they had also stopped running! A huge taxi fare (don't ask, seriously, don't ask!) later and we were eventually back home, having made a few new friends during the evening.

Manny - Mexican food at ITG - see you there:D

Message was split up due to not being allowed to post more than four pictures/smilies in one post - a serious problem when it comes to posting pictures from an evening.