Ultimate Warm up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by UWGtrumpet, Jan 6, 2007.

1. UWGtrumpet

UWGtrumpet New Friend

Jan 5, 2007
    Hey just wondering if anyone has used this ultimate warm up book by trumpet studio.com you can find this book here http://www.trumpetstudio.com/practice.html

Just trying to see if it would be worth purchasing

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    With my background with my teacher (Barabara Butler) I just don't believe in warming up per se. All those thing he talks about are certainly part of one's regular routine, air flow studies, flexibilities, etc. But like Arnold Jacobs said, if you're in shape and playing a lot you never cool down, you don't need to warm up. There are many times when you want to acclimate yourself to a new room, hall, sonic enviornment, but if you have good fundamentals you don't need a daily warm up routine before your'e "ready" to play. 'Cause some day you'll get off a bus at 8:59 for a 9:00 o'clock gig and if you need a 30 minute warm up, you're fairly well screwed.

Michael McLaughlin

That's the nature of women, not to love when we love them, and to love when we love them not.
    Miguel de Cervantes

3. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    I have not used the book. However, after taking a look on the website, I agree with MM that it covers the range of trumpet playing skills -- all of which you can find in other method books. However, it is attractive that he has set out 30/60/90 minute routines. Many of us are time limited -- for instance, I have about 30 minutes I can play in the morning before going to work. A structured routine that covers these bases in 30 minutes can make that time more productive. I think the title is a bit unfortunate -- I don't think many people -- even those who acknowledge the value of a warmup -- would call 60-90 minutes of practice a "warm-up". So I think what you're really getting here is a structured set of practice routines covering the basics of playing.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, I agree with you guys that the title of the book is a misnomer. It should be something like "Daily Drills" or "Essential techniques' or something more comprehensive than what it's called. I love that he covers scales and evrything else, kind of a mini Arban's. It might be a nice book for taking on tour instead of something larger.

Michael's point about being able to play on the spur of the moment is very important. A warm-up is nice but if one is a slave to a hyper-extended warm-up to play, one might get in trouble one day. I've certainly been stuck in traffic and know the disquieting feeling of having 5 minutes to get ready but you have to have confidence in being able to do so.

I would say go ahead and pick it up if you want but use it as you see fit.

ML

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    This was so often the case when I was a military bandsman and organizing gigs for the band. It seemed that as soon as I was done with our sponsor, that it was time to play as I was reaching for my case. Over the years, my chops became well accustomed to this routine.