Ultra-Pure valve oil and greases are the bomb!

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by pwillini, Nov 3, 2005.

1. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Been using Ken's Ultra-Pure valve oil and slide greases now for a week. I'LL NEVER USE ANYTHING ELSE, EVER AGAIN!

I've used several different oils on my 76 Bach over the years and have never been able to get rid of the sticky 3rd valve, that is until I got my Ultra-Pure kit from Ken's EBay shop. For $13 (that includes shipping!) I got rid of the sticky valve and the greases are the slickest I've ever used on the slides!

Get some of Ken's valve oil and slide greases, you won't be disappointed!

2. SlideBone Ltd.

SlideBone Ltd. New Friend

Feb 15, 2004
    NYC

Yes Ultra Pure Products are amazing.
    Check out www.slidebone.com

Lowest Prices and Great Service !!!

3. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thanks!

Thanks, guys! I love to hear from my customers and I am so happy that Ultra-Pure Oil fixed your valve problems. -Ken

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I just ordered my kit. :-) I have no complaints about what I am currently using, but since I am almost out, I thought what better time to try these than now, eh?

5. rich

rich New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    When I bought my Monette mouthpieces at Mike Thompson's store in Omaha last week, he gave me a bottle of Ultra-PURE ... I have not oiled my valves now in about 8 days.... was doing it before everyother day.... the valves feel no different to me today than they did after I oiled them 8 days ago. Mike mentioned a few top players in Omaha that normally oiled valves constantly... but now oil them very seldom. Interesting.... not sure what makes this stuff special but it sure seems to do a great job.

6. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Ken's oil lasts forever!

I haven't oiled any of my horns since I cleaned them the first week of December (ok Manny, I did read you post, I know it's getting to be that time again :D )

Keep using Ken's oils and greases and you won't be disappointed!

7. jfrasier

jfrasier New Friend

Nov 29, 2005
    SE Texas
    I'm doing a little experiment with these new oils.
    First of all, these oils are awesome. After a few weeks
    I noticed that the valves were still moving pretty good, so
    I decided to see how long I could go without oiling them
    again.
    I last oiled the valves on Oct. 15, 2005, and they still
    need (I will oil them when they are totally frozen) no oil.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Not to be a "dog-in-the-manger" but is that really wise? I wouldn't think that just because a valve hasn't started to get slow it means it doesn't need oil or isn't wearing! I'm sure we've all heard of "they who recommend spit" for lubricating their valves.

I also think it is important to differentiate between old or student-grade horns which have greater clearance than some of the newer instruments. You can probably get away with less oiling on a "sloppier" valve than a Bauerfeind, Schilke, new Yamaha, etc.

Personally I like the synthetic oils that contain PTFE (Teflon). Zaja Blue and Clark Viper Oil. The valves still get oiled every day.

PLEASE NOTE: I am most definitely NOT saying that there is anything wrong with Ken's "Ultra-Pure" nor that it is any less than what has been suggested ... it's just that I don't think it's wise to "see how far you can go on a tank of gas before you have to start walking" (you can clog up more jets and injectors that way!!!!). Valves are too dang expensive to run the kind of experiment that you see them doing with car engines on synthetic oil TV commercials! (This engine was running at 3,000 rpm and we drained all of the oil out of it and it continues to run fine!)

How about it, Ken (or any other valve oil rep who might be hanging about).... do you actually RECOMMEND that your customers run their horns until they start to slow down before reoiling?

9. jfrasier

jfrasier New Friend

Nov 29, 2005
    SE Texas
    I wasn't implying at all that valves should slow down before oiling.
    This is just a personal experiment I am doing with my Bach. I
    have a new horn arriving in a few months so I am not too concerned
    with messing up anything on my Bach, espically since my horn is already in terrible shape. It was also quite nerve wrecking to play the last few gigs, even though I had some oil on the stand.
    If you want to get technical, the lack of a control verses a variable
    really nullifies my experiment, but its fun anyway.

10. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    While I can't particulary recommend that musicians try to see how long they can go between oilings, slide lubricating, and cleaning, I do know that a clean, and freshly lubricated horn feels great! I would recommend that you re-oil the valves and casings at least every week or two just to flush out small bits of grime, food, dust, etc. Your horn is one of your prize possessions and you should take good care of it. When your horn is new and you are breaking in the valves, oil every day for a few weeks to flush out microscopic bits of metal.

Then again, if you play lightly, don't smoke, brush your teeth before playing, and keep your horn and mouthpiece pretty clean, you can probably go several weeks between oilings with Ultra-Pure Oil.

Yours,
    Ken