Ultrasonic Cleaner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Guinness, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Guinness

Guinness New Friend

Dec 5, 2006
    Jackson, MS
    I'm looking for a nice home ultasonic jewelry cleaner to use for small items such as mouthpieces, valves, finger buttons, etc. Does anyone have any pros or cons for doing this and if it's okay to do, can someone advise me on a good one to purchase. Thanks for your help.

2. trtplyrdm

trtplyrdm New Friend

Jan 6, 2007
    CA
    Well I would say try ebay, but that is just me.:-)

3. Guinness

Guinness New Friend

Dec 5, 2006
    Jackson, MS
    I have looked on ebay and there are many models to choose from. I thought someone might have a particular brand and model they would recommend. Thanks.

4. trtplyrdm

trtplyrdm New Friend

Jan 6, 2007
    CA
    okay

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have read that ultrasonic cleaners can change the temper of metal objects. This could be detrimental to the sound and playability of your equipment. Many technicians use chemical cleaning instead - even although they have toxic waste afterwards. I would check with your instrument maker to see if they have any reservations.

6. Guinness

Guinness New Friend

Dec 5, 2006
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks for your info. I spoke with a manufacturer of ultrasonic cleaners and was told that it should not affect the temper of the metal as it is done at room temperature. You can get one with a built in heater, but the slight increase in the liquid cleaner is not enough to affect the metal. Thanks