Ultrasonic Cleaning question - what "solution" do they/you use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I use "Magic Wash" from Lowes or Home Depot. The key ingredient is a Phosphoric Acid solution. Since I have the 39 gallon Ultrasonic Power unit, I use one half gallon and fill the tank. I also add a tablespoon of Dawn dish detergent.

Gary

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have a Branson 1/2 gal unit. It has a rectangular tank, about 10" by 3" so slides fit.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    There are no stupid questions on TM, Doc. This is your Editor talking.......only bad grammar and spelling.........no names being mentioned here though.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Spoken like a true gentleman and a cruller. But donut let that stop you!

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The Ultrasonic Power units are steel, and while the "Tenor" model, which I have was designed for musical instruments, I believe their other units were for parts cleaning. So the answer to your question would be a tentative yes. I write tentative, because I am not familiar with all models, and do not know if there is a decibal dial for the ultrasonics or heating element, which I do not use.

Gary

6. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I just experimented with Simple Green HD (which is actually PURPLE in color), I about 3/4 cup per gallon of water and then I shot in a squirt of Dawn Dishwashing Soap. I let my slides soak in there over night, then did a 2 minute cleaning at 90 degree (I'm still experimenting with the temp setting - don't want to get TOO hot for the lacquered parts). I was SUPER impressed that it got all the GUNK out of the bottom caps.

Prior to the Simple Green HD concoction, I tried Vinegar and Dawn ... which was supbar (maybe I didn't use enough vinegar - I most likely didn't).

I'm going to try some additional trumpet/cornet parts and see how they fair.

I'm also surprised how the sound from this cleaner effects me.... it's not THAT noisey, but I seem to be picking up on the sonic waves -- got a massive headache the first few times I tried it out. NOW, I'm using ear protection and I seem to be just fine.

Thanx for all the replies, I appreciate the input, saves me from having to "rebuild the wheel" ;)

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Orsen,

I would be wary of soaking any parts overnight. I usually do it for about 15 minutes - and without heat- to loosen any gunk inside. Then I use the snake brush to get the stuff out.

Recently, I did this with a 1946 Conn New York Symphony trumpet, which had extreme lacquer wear. The result was that the lacquer wrinkled like a prune.

Gary

8. rogelton

rogelton New Friend

Jan 12, 2011
    Belgium
    I used shampoo, it worked fine. Using higher T° I got the lacquer off without any chemicals. :roll:

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Don't be like Bix Biederbecke (1903-1931) when it comes to cleaning your horn. He never cleaned his ax because he thought a clean horn sounded "hard."

A saxophone player told Bix, he was a note-miser and was too restrained. Bix replied," The trouble with you is you play so many notes but they mean so little."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I guess all the fungal hyphea hanging from the brass and into the tubing would "soften" the sound.