Ultrasonic Cleaning question - what "solution" do they/you use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My youngest stepson felt the same way with his car, which I had co-signed on the loan. He never changed the oil, and never changed or rotated his tires. After three years, the car crapped out.

The question is, "Do you feel lucky today?" Well, do ya punk?"

Gary

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I tell my students not to waste notes. I say:
    You gave been allocated a certain number of notes to play in your lifetime and don't want to run out of them half way through a gig. The cemeteries are full of trumpet players who ran out of notes.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cleaned my main horn this past weekend the "old fashioned" way. I swab the leadpipe and tuning slide after I play. Figured there wouldn't be too much crud. Man was I wrong! "Floaters" galore! Horn played better!

Regarding Bix, it was said that he died of pneumonia. I don't know if that strain of bacteria can/could live in a horn, but if it could, that's reason enough to clean!!

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, Ivan, very true, in fact, EVERYONE in the cemetaries ran out of notes, not just the Trumpet players!:roll:

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Where's the UNLIKE button?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    For what? :D

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

tobylou8,

I suppose the pneumonia probably did Bix in and the bacteria in the horn may have harmed him, too. His alcoholism may have added to his health woes.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Can you comment more specifically on this, I have a stainless pan large enough to accommodate a trumpet and may want to experiment with making my own ultrasonic cleaning tank.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Google "Submersable Ultrasonic cleaners" there are lots available for use in existing cleaning tanks. I have no experience of ultrasonic cleaning, my repairer is currently getting a serious one capable of taking a full sized BBb Tuba.

Regards. Stuart.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    at our concert last thursday, one of the guys who sits next to me in community band (who is also a musical equipment technician) --who always forgets his valve oil -- ROFL ,,,, OK, back to the story. Anyways, I asked Ben - "hey isn't that a cardinal rule of what not to do while playing your instrument?" --as I noticed the Pepsi bottle he was drinking from. Ben then showed me the label, and explained --"this is diet Pepsi, so it doesn't contain sugar, only aspartame, and the BEST THING about it" , he continues, "the number 2 major ingredient in it is Phosphoric acid, which is the same thing I use to clean Brass instruments at the shop" ----- so, he continues, "that is why my trumpet remains pristine, as I usually have a diet pepsi when I practice and play it -- thusly cleaning the instrument a little bit each time it gets used"