Ultrasonic damage?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hornblower2000, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    CLR is a commercial product available just about anywhere. Remember...delute it down 15 to 1. It is an acid that reacts with brass.

Glad you liked the lead pipe solution. However, becareful of pushing rods down the lead pipe as you do not want to scratch them. The swab on a nylon string easily wraps up and can be stored in a baggie in your trumpet case. It is so easy to use. Just take out your tuning slide, shake it to get spit out, take your mouthpiece off, drop the weighted swab and one second later...a clean lead pipe.

2. luckyhornman

luckyhornman New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Where Grass Is Blue
    One thing that I might add to everyone's very thorough posts, and something actually learned here, is that ANY lint (even if microscopic) in the valve chamber will soak up oil and be a deterrent to proper valve movement. It seems that air drying is the best alternative for the valves and valve chambers.

3. hornblower2000

hornblower2000 New Friend

Apr 27, 2009
    the road
    Ok, I wiped it all out, gave it a soap and water bath, rinse, rinse,rinse, wipe out, and re-lube, now all is well as far as the valves go. Thanks!!

...Now i'm still concerned about how risky this "ultra clean" was. No one at the shop told me of any risks with a rotted horn. Would they have put a new part on my trumpet for free, if the had blown holes in it? Would they have told me at all?? I found a story online about a trombone that was cleaned this way and ended up with a large, ugly patch on the bell seam! I think from now on it's back to the good ole flush clean, much safer, and about half the price too!

Thanks for all the help!

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I've never ultra soniced my horn
    is it really all it's cracked up to be?
    or should I just still to home cleanings?

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I rather think that the ultrasonics are only exposing an existing weakness as opposed to creating the damage. If you think ultrasonics are a risk - then don't have your trumpet cleaned that way. :dontknow: I like to do mine by hand, its therapeutic to some degree - and I love making things sweet smelling and shiney. :cool:

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Its the safest way to get the mineral deposits out of a trumpet.
    And if a horn has been played for a few months without a professional cleaning it will almost surely have mineral deposits in it.

Greg

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I don't see why if they use a lead pipe, why a lead weight would be of any risk!:-P

Seriously, the bunching up of a swap around the push-rod could bind and cause a problem, whereas pulling it through doesn't cause it to bunch up. You could slide the push-rod through and out the far end, attach the swab, and then pull it back through for essentially the same effect as the weight and string method.
    I also have a brass gun-barrel brush (suggested by oldlou) which on the end of a cleaning rod is very effective at removing scale and corrosion from the leadippe. Horns in my collection which are given little playing time, and newly acquired ones, often have some corrosion buildup which goes away quickly when the brush is used. Then a little oil or a Spitball will leave a nice protective coating inside.

veery

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Then, the push rod idea is out; I hate to think of jamming a swab in and getting it stuck in the middle.

The gun barrel brush, what caliber do you use? Is this brass brush something you would only use once a year or so?
    Thanks Veery!

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Charlie Melk uses ultrasonic cleaning these days, and from the work he did on one of my horns recently, I sort of believe he knows what he's doing. Some guys still use acid, but if there's a trend, it appears to be toward the less toxic approach.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    In reality, any method that removes minerals or other "caked on" grime will likely take some brass with it. After all, the cleaner, whether acid, ultrasonic or whatever isn't intelligent enough to know what is grime and what isn't.