Ultrasonic damage?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hornblower2000, Apr 27, 2009.

1. luckyhornman

luckyhornman New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Where Grass Is Blue
    I visited the Bob Reeves site and checked out the lead pipe swab. Interesting that it looks like a shoestring with a fishing weight on one end and a piece of Sham-Wow on the other.

"Better hurry 'cause you know we can't do this all day!"

I'm making one tomorrow for about a buck and a half !!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    the rope swab is the same concept we use to clean our shotguns , its a great idea .
    be sure to use a oil your can live with, my son likes Selmer , i am sure there is better oil ,maybe somebody can share with us ?

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm pretty much switched to synthetic oils for trumpets, based on suggestions by others and by good results I've had so far. Hetman and Ultra Pure are good choices, but there are a number of others.
    Back to cleaning: I have a vintage tuba I'm pretty sure has never been cleaned either by acid or by ultrasound. It still has some pinholes in the leadpipe. The same goes for an old rotary-valve flugelhorn: there are pinholes near the forward bend, and it showed no signs of having ever been cleaned with so much as water. Flip a coin and go with what your repair person suggests.

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am glad you all (or some of you at least) like the lead pipe swab concept. Yes, I do make my own for my students...total cost = fifty cents ($ .50)

Now I am trying to develop a flexible tube with a sponge attached to really get into the smaller tuning slides to really get all of the gunk out.

5. hornblower2000

hornblower2000 New Friend

Apr 27, 2009
    the road
    "There is not TONS of qualified stories about the dangers of ultrasound published (exaggeration does not lead to a rational opinion)"........ Ok, believe what you want! I know what I saw. [/B]

Oh so Wayne Tanabe is the one pushing this ultra-clean... then for sure it is a load of BS

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Wayne is one of the most highly respected trumpet guru's around these days. When he pushes something it is because he has hours and hours of research and science to back it up.
    You really have your head screwed on backwards.

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    You don't have to gnaw on the lead weight, you know. By the way, cleaning your rifle exposes you to far greater quantities of lead. I recommend you throw your firearms away when they get fouled rather than risk TOXIC LEAD EXPOSURE.
    Excellent! Now, how do I get it to go around the bends in my slides?

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I think you should throw the guns away to make sure there is no risk of toxic bullet exposure!

Sorry I had to.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    HB,
    my definition of "tons" of "qualified" is pretty clear. There is a ton of BS out there based on a "few" reports. I do research just about everything pertaining to trumpet. Please present your "list" of "tons" or "qualified". I am always interested in broadening and deepening my scope.

There are only 2 issues concerning ultrasound that I have been able to find:
    1) if the horn has appreciable red rot, ultra sound will remove defective material causing pinholes. This would also happen when acid is used. The solution is a red/gold brass, german silver or sterling silver leadpipe and tuning slide that is not susceptible to red rot.
    2) change of temper of the bell or braces. I have seen no actual research on this aspect pertaining to musical instruments. Only reports from Volkswagen about fuel injector nozzles changing temper and becoming less durable.

The former is only applicable when something needs to be replaced anyway. The latter needs further research, which I am presently working on. My test bed involves examining the "ringing" properties of the bell using a repeatable method that was formerly used for checking a hi fi turntable plinths resonance modes and susceptibility to airborn vibration. We have some tempered and annealed bells that will be "blasted" with ultrasound and then compared. If we discover any differences, we will have to check complete horns. If the temper changes, that could influence stressed joints (positively) from instruments built with jigs. I probably need 6 months to a year before any valid info is compiled. I do not do this for a living.

All of the swabs mentioned have been marketed by a german company called "REKA" for many years. Inspiration can be found here: welcome to reka-web.com

Good luck!

10. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with rowuk...substanciate yourself, just don't shoot from the hip if you do not know what you are talking about.

rowuk...I am aware of REKA, great company, but they are discontinuing their foam trumpet swabs. These were great. My main supplier in the US no longer carries them.