Umbilicle Hernia

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vntgbrslvr, Mar 20, 2009.

1. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Hi All,

I've just recently had surgery on an umbilicle hernia (belly button). The doctor says I should lay off the horn for at least two weeks. I'm wondering if anyone else has recovered from such a surgery, and what kind of timeline we are talking about. I had hoped to have some practices and play time for Easter with our brass group....but with the tenderness of the surgery from last Wed still rather noticable...I'm wondering if I need to recommend a replacement for my part to stand in, or if there are simple breathing excercizes I can do to help promote muscle flexibility without straining.

Anyone else experience this proceedure/recovery period? I understand every persons recovery will vary somewhat, but I'm hoping to hear that the recovery time isn't too extended.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Sounds like questions that you need to ask your doctor?

3. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    My doctor doesn't play trumpet ;)

I have discussed what's happening with my doctor and understand what he thinks I should be able to do when it comes to average recoveryand lifting etc...

....I'm looking for real experiences from someone that has gone through the experience.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    In 2007 I had a surgery that is similar to a hernia operation. It was for something totally different, but involved going through the abdominal muscles, so maybe it's similar to yours (mine was near the belt line, though). For the recovery, my instructions were the same as hernia operation instructions as far as how long to wait before lifting more than 5 pounds and so forth.

As far as the trumpet, I tried to play after about two weeks and couldn't. I could breath in, but blowing out any harder than and normal exhale was pretty painful. It was about four weeks after the surgery until I could play without any pain.

Your surgery may be different, but that's how it was for me.

Jason.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm a doctor and I play the trumpet.

Your surgeon is correct. Playing the trumpet too soon can disrupt the repair, create a new hernia, or cause other complications.

You'll likely need to refrain from regular trumpet playing for as long as your surgeon told you to refrain from lifting anything greater than 5 lbs. This is typically 4 to 8 weeks, depending on the specifics of your surgery. And you should start back slowly. Two weeks sounds a bit early, except maybe for real easy playing.

Mike

6. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    I've had this twice. Once to repair the problem and once to repair it again after compromising the original by discharging myself 20 minutes after awakening (this was in Holland, don't ask) and taking a taxi home.

Be careful and listen to your surgeon. What's the rush anyhow?

Best,
    EC

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I had this surgery and the Dr. is right, wait 2 weeks before any playing. Also come back slowly, don't practice an hour the first day. You must ease back into to playing and I was playing like normal in about 1 month after the surgery. Did they put the netting in to give repaired hernia strength?

8. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Hi MD,

Thanks for your reply. I will wait at least 2 weeks until I give it an easy time practicing (that is what he recommended, but I didn't want to rush so I thought I would ask what other people's experiences have been. Right now I'm feeling quite well, but have stuck to Doctors orders with weight limits etc...

I have 2 weeks minimum of 5 lbs or less....after thatl very light lifting (10 lbs max) and mild playing) for the next 2 weeks. After that there may still be some pain but I should be on my way to recovery.

My biggest concern early on was that I would hit 4 weeks and be in too much pain to really practice at all. I'm already feeling much better in only 5 days after surgery. My biggest challenge at this point will be to hold back and stick to doctors orders. I certainly don't want to disrupt what's been repaired so I'm sticking to the plan.....

Thanks for your input,

Brian

9. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin

No rush Carrol...I have people counting on me for Easter services, and if that time-line is just unreasonable, I wanted to let them know so we could get someone to stand in. Right now I'm going to take it easy and see how things progress after 2 weeks. I have no interest in going through the surgery again ;)

Thanks,

Brian

10. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin

Hi Mickey,

Yes they did use the mesh to strengthen the repair. I will be waiting at least two weeks to play, and will take it easy for the next 2. Thanks for your feedback.

Brian