UMI Hate?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stradbrother, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Stradbrother

Stradbrother Pianissimo User

Aug 22, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Hey everyone.

Been exploring the web recently and whenever I see anyone talk about UMI trumpets in reviews or discussions, it always seems to be negative. I've never played on these horns, but what is with the hate?

I'm just curious. What brings up so much negativity? Is it just bothering people that Conn/King/Benge is stamped on something that isn't what it used to be?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think it is just bad form like we find everywhere on the internet. One would think that there were an awful lot of virtuoso players that depended on the supposed "difference". It is also part of "vintage" being "better" than new. To be honest, a top trumpet today does sound a bit different than a "historical" one. Listening to the major symphonies, I here plenty of reason to buy "new".

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm right there with you - I'm not one who buys into the vintage instrument craze - maybe with wooden instruments, but not so much with brass.

4. Stradbrother

Stradbrother Pianissimo User

Aug 22, 2012
    Cincinnati
    I was in the vintage horn craze for a while... But I've had way too many experiences with buying an old horn just to find out that it's good, but just not practical for use today.

I know there are exceptions, but that's just my personal experience.

These UMIs though, not comparing to the old companies they used to be, are they worth a look?

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've played a couple of Conn Vintage Ones that were excellent trumpets. A guy I knew had one lacquered with a rose brass bell - don't know the model number - and it just popped. That's been a while ago though.

I mean, isn't Selmer also under the UMI umbrella? The Bach Stradivarius seems to still be the main trumpet that aspiring young players gravitate to. It has always seemed to me, at least when I was in high school and my early Army band days, that I was awash in a sea of Bachs (and Yamahas, to a lesser extent) and all of the other brands and models had meager representation on the fringe.

It's funny, you just don't hear about too many people playing Conn Vintage Ones, which is too bad - they are, IMO, well designed (designed by Fred Powell, IIRC) and pretty well made.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes. Worth a look.
    I have a Conn "Pro Connstellation" that looks more like a Bach Strad, but actually plays a lot different, and plays well. But it is not the original, plays nothing like the original Connstellation. Another But... But it plays well in it's own right.

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with UMI, just a larger company, re-branding to catch the market. That's business.

Good luck

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    - don't use the word "hate" unless you know what hate really is. ;-)

- I did a gig a while back with a very fine trumpeter who had recently acquired a Conn Vintage One and he absolutely loved it. Spoke about it in terms of what he'd always been looking for.

8. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Forgive my naiveté, but what exactly is UMI?

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    UMI in a way deserves some criticism because they took a lot of brands that were known for specific characteristics, mixed everything up and then threw instruments on the market that usually were good but did not in any way keep up the tradition these brands had carefully nurtured over many years. The differences between the brands that had been very clearly marked before were becoming blurred or indistinguishable, with the result that buyers became disorientated. And that is something people don't like.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  10. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    UMI = United Musical Instruments.