UMI Hate?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stradbrother, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Isn't Getzen (and its subsidiary, Edwards) the only remaining large family owned Trumpet manufacturer?

I think that goes to show how much the industry has changed on a corporate level.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Kanstul?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Is "family owned" a sign of anything related to quality? I think not. They make the same decisions as the corporate players. Germany, UK, Austria all still have successful "family" run businesses making fine horns.

I will maintain that it is easier today to buy a quality instrument than it was 50 or 60 years ago. We have 10+ brands to choose from, plenty of stock available and the manufacturing consistency is very high. I am not sure that the student horns of today will have that vintage aura that an Olds Ambassador has today - it will not be a function of the horn quality however.

4. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe so, but at a trumpet event I attended there was an Edwards guest artist who made that claim.

Straight from the horse's mouth, or so they say

5. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I wasn't saying that that was an indication of quality, in fact, the Getzen and Edwards horns I have tried were really nice.
    As for availability, there are options, but at the high school level everyone either has a Strad or a Xeno, and not much else.
    As for student horns, it's either a Bach or a Yamaha, most of the time.

But when you get into the professional level, there are a lot of options.

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I had a Benge 90B back in their early days, good horn. I had several decent players try it and they thought it played as well or better than their Bach 37 until they looked at the bell and saw it was a dreaded UMI horn and their opinion immediately changed and declared the horn junk. To many people get hung up on the label, judge a horn by how it plays.

7. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I don't like UMI because they "killed" Buescher.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There where issues of "uneven quality" according to Dallas music. He doesn't elaborate so what where the issues??? If it was mechanical, I could see a reason for their reaction. If it was just one horn being worse than another across the line, then a good playing horn is a good playing horn. Seems like it could be a sleeper, the 90B, especially if Fred Powell had a hand in it!!

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/benge-90b-59882.html

9. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    Buescher was dead before UMI was formed, Selmer USA bought them in 1963. UMI was founded out of Conn, King, Benge, Armstrong, Artley, and Ludwig (and probably some other company I've never heard of) in 1984. (going off of memory on that date, please correct me if I'm wrong)
    (even if I can stay up late because I don't have school tomorrow, I don't think I'm tired enough to misremember that)

10. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Thank you, I didn't know that. However, it was still the same action of buying small independent companies, and isn't UMI now Conn-Selmer?