Un-losable Bach stop rod nut

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 23, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have replaced hundreds of Bach stop rod nuts over the years. When someone loses one, the other vibrates than falls off. Result is the third slide dropping on the hard floor, denting and eventually cracking the slide crook.

This nylon stop nut I have is made undersize so that it will screw on and hold itself in place by its own spring tension. Only one is needed. The original ones sell for $4 each (and you need 2 of them). I will sell these replacements for $2.50 each. Expensive for a plastic thing, yes, but I adjust each one by hand, and $2.50 once is certainly better than $4 twice, frequently.

[​IMG]

neal085, Brassman64 and rowuk like this.
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's an interesting concept, but I'd rather just make sure I don't lose one in the first place, or replace it with a real one if happened to lose one. In nearly 20 years of playing a Strad almost exclusively, I never lost a stop rod nut.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Never lost one, either. Hey Ivan, the one you pictured is cracked...:lol:

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It is mainly the college students and younger who lose them regularly.

Sturmbill likes this.
  5. superc

superc New Friend

Sep 4, 2015
    North Georgia
    I would recommend that you use a
    Third Slide Stop End Nut. Even though this end nut is for a Conn, I tried it on a Bach Strad stop rod and it works perfectly.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good point.

Similar to Patrick and Dale, I've had my Strad for 30+ years, and never lost one. My son, however, has lost many in the couple years he's owned his Strad.

Great idea, Ivan.

Mike

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is a good idea, and although I have never lost one, I have had to replace a couple on one of my Strads. That particular horn seems to make the nuts vibrate loose and off, so I am always winding it back up. It may not be the individual as much as the horn. Some horns seem to make this happen.

I know where to come next time I need to get one!

Thanks

8. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Or go to the hardware store ask for a bit of help and have the thread determined and then get a lock nut for the end. That pesky nut is not getting loose now.

lrgscaleZinc_Plated_Nyloc_Lock_Nut_Locknut.jpg

Best,
    Jon

Attached Files:

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Great idea Ivan--especially for students. After loosing a stop nut 3 or 4 years ago I began using small O rings to keep the nuts from loosening--trouble is if they're tight enough to do the job they need to be replaced every time the 3rd valve slide is removed. Looks like your product is a once and done fix.

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    About the nylock repacement: I don't remember the size of the Bach stop rod, but I do know that you're not going to find a nut for it in the local hardware store. I do have a tap and it was a special order from a machine shop supply business.