Un-losable Bach stop rod nut

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 23, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The thread is 5-40 and is non-standard, although extremely close to the British thread 1/8" BSW (same diameter and pitch I think, but different thread angle). US standard threads jump from 4-xx to 6-xx

2. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Cool info thanks

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    This reminds me of when, many years ago, a local tech made a batch of these. They were a little more elegant; they were knurled to match the nuts on Bachs and Benges. It's interesting to know that they fit Conns also. I put one on my Benge CG, and it kept the end of the threads from being damaged or causing damage. I didn't get to enjoy it for very long, however; some lowlife POS stole the horn, and it was not recovered.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I had to replace the whole stop assembly on a Strad I recently bought. I think it was removed because the original owner didn't know about the dump slide and so had removed the stop assembly to empty the crook. My guess, anyway....

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am still amazed at how many players I come across that don't know about the dump slide, and it is usually stuck solid.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Yep.... My tech freed it (the dump slide) when he installed the mechanism. Luckily the hex screw was still there although the threaded rod and nuts were gone. I will leave it as is and not install a water key. The horn is a straightforward horn, no first slide adjustment and only the third slide movable.

7. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I always change these set screws for stainless steel ones.

8. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This is how I set up my personal horns.

9. superc

superc New Friend

Sep 4, 2015
    North Georgia
    The correct threading for a Bach stop rod is 5-40, obviously the same for the stop nuts. You will be hard pressed to locate any type of nut or screw in that size at a hardware store. Most musical instrument threadings are specialty. Also, it would not be wise to attempt to re-thread your instrument so that a common nut or screw would fit. You are sure to do more harm than good.

10. superc

superc New Friend

Sep 4, 2015
    North Georgia
    Agreed! The threading for the hexagonal locking set screw is 6-40x3/16 for a Bach and 8-36X3/16 for a Benge. These are used in the construction industry to hold fixtures securely to wall mounts and should be available at either Ace Hardware or possibly Home Depot.