Unaccompanied wedding on trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by halfprice06, Aug 13, 2011.

1. halfprice06

halfprice06 New Friend

Dec 30, 2009
    Has anyone ever done this before, played unaccompanied at a wedding?

My friend is getting married and asked me to play at her wedding. I am currently in the process of preparing some pieces to be played on the piano, however, she knows trumpet is my main instrument and wants me to play trumpet, possibly only during the recessional.

However, she doesn't want to hire another musician. She's not being cheap actually, she just wants to keep it simple and only wants me to play as we're good friends.

Does anyone one know of any arrangements of standard wedding rep. for solo trumpet, no accompaniment?
    The gig is actually coming up in September.

Thanks

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I did a wedding once as the sole instrument - I did the Prince of Denmark's March (which I've also heard called the Trumpet Voluntary) by Clarke as the bride walked down the aisle. I was supposed to have an organist backing me but something went wrong and she couldn't play. We had other music planned but not for solo trumpet, so a local choir did the rest of the music unaccompanied instead.

Other music which a solo trumpet can play for wedding includes pretty much anything from Handel's Water Music, or Beethoven's Song of Joy, or if you feel you have enough air you could work on Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, filling in the organ parts with the horn. If it's a modern wedding rather than a more formal one then I think there are lots of love songs and the like which could be played solo, such as Moon River.

--bumblebee

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Um.......

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    WOW SB, where do you find that stuff? ROFL

5. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    OMG.... that is funniest thing I think I have ever seen.

6. halfprice06

halfprice06 New Friend

Dec 30, 2009
    thanks, that was actually really helpful

7. Teledmd

Teledmd New Friend

Jul 20, 2011
    I have played for a few friends at their wedding unaccompanied. As long as there is a small wedding party, it's actually a very nice way to go. Make it intamte and personal and you will make the day for your friend really special. Any of the standard processional/recessional tunes work. Have fun! :play:

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I've played dozens of weddings as a part time job. Trumpet Voluntary ( The Prince Of Denmarks Suite ) is a good one....however it is the processional rather than recessional. Practice the Wedding March by Mendelssohn, it's the traditional recessional.

9. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    For Recessional - try Trumpet Tune (Purcell) - omit the organ bridge - Play it is a fanfare - Allegro vivace. It is a good "sending forth" piece.