Uncomfortable range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scrap, Jul 23, 2011.

1. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    After a bit of practice, some much needed cleaning, and even more practice, I've managed to get my range up a bit more (currently at a high C..but I don't plan on letting it stay there), but I'm still having trouble opening up and getting a good sound on the Eb - G range. I simply can't play those notes comfortably, despite being able to hit higher notes better..has this happened to anyone else? And does anyone know how to help or is it just a matter of more flow studies and lip slurs again?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I experienced precisely that problem about 3 months after picking up the horn again. I assume that you are talking E-G on the top of the staff. I'd say that the content of your last sentence will probably fix things up for you. May take a couple of months of work there to get comfortable, but it will smooth out.

3. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    p.s., good breath control.

I've caught myself more than a time or two neglecting good breath control while focusing on a problem like this. Big Breath, then play.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My bit of Zen: let the notes play you.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    B r e a t h e

Concentrate on the breathing and the notes will play themselves - see Zen AND Technique.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I try practicing exercises that cover a couple octaves.. like two octave apeggios ..sometimes players slide the mouthpiece around to help playing in different ranges .. doing multi octave exercises helps keep the mp stationary ...

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Schools out........... I guess you haven't read many of the most recent threads here. Range seems to be the number one issue during summer vacation when it should be an issue at weekly lessons...... I feel a teacher needs to be monitoring progress closely to prevent really stupid things from happening! What does YOUR teacher say?

High range is built on thousands of repetitions designed to coordinate breathing, body use, facial muscle control and tongue position. At the same time our brain takes advantage of the "patience" approach and develops a concept for the high notes that lets us play them logically instead of just squeaking something out.

A quick fix for high notes would just increase noise pollution. I am thankful that it does not exist.

What do I teach to increase range? NOTHING! Everything required in the upper register is also needed at the very lowest notes. That means a solid daily routine designed to increase all aspects of playing. Breathing exercizes, long tones, slurs, scales, articulation and LOTS of tunes. At the end of the practice session comes technical studies to stretch the rest.

8. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    I think so.

Please don't get discouraged by people who don't read your questions carefully before posting rude answers!

;-)

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    breathing properly, lower pressure on the mpc (don't force the notes), long tones, rest the lips, long tones -- and being patient with yourself. The range is 1,000's of repetitions, and many 100's of hours on the horn. NOT all of that is at the high range -- long tones in the staff will help tremendously.
    Also -- I experience what I call "breakpoints" -- where 1 day the range will have a break in it (let's say an A above the staff in my case more than a year ago) -- all the notes below, and many notes above that were good -- but I couldn't play that stupid A for nearly a month. I look at these breakpoints as a "measure of success" -- they have migrated upward since then -- and so has my range and sound. BUT IT ALL TAKES TIME and patience, and practice (intelligent dedicated practice -- don't beat your lips to death -- that won't help either):thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Hey VB,

On a bad day if notes don't, the horn sure will!ROFL