uncontroled shaking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by doake, Dec 12, 2008.

1. doake

doake New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    I've got slight tremor all the time, but when I play the horn it gets so bad the mouthpiece almost jumps off my face. It keeps me from even warming up properly. I'm about ready to throw the horn out. If anyone has any ideas that might help I'd sure be grateful. doake, a recently new member.

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I suffered as you when I was younger.
    It is memorable how a kind of catastrophe was my first Hummel front the public...
    I recommend to take some theatre lessons, as well as going out with naugty boys, so your charisma will be rewarded and, with some time and practice, will dissapear.
    I did, as well as so much wild things with my KTM bike... Always helpful if you think on what you're doing.
    That doesn't means you'll not be affraid, but it would not be noticiable.
    BEST WISHES !!!

3. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    doake,
    Is this becouse you are nervous/ having some anxiety or something like that or is it a physiqulogical problem coused by something not beeing 100% ok in your body?
    Has it always been like this or is it a new problem? Have loong have been playing the trumpet?

4. doake

doake New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    I'm 78 years old And rode motorcycles and flew airplanes for 40 years. This has been a bother for 2 or three years also Iplayed professionly so its not fright but something inside perhaps its the fractured hip I'm dealing with. I'm going in for an operation January so maybe it will get better then. doake

5. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I play in several bands that have players from a very young age and up to over 80y. What I have noticed is that some "older" players do shake a bit more...If there is anything to do about it I do not know...pleas do not take this in a bad way, it is just one thing I have noticed here in the world I live in:-)

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This may sound silly, but maybe getting a lighter horn could help. If you're shaking all the time (like Parkinsons?) then there might not be too much you can do. I think you should definitely discuss this with your doctor.

Best of luck.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I'd see a doctor about it. If you had the stones to fly and bike I doubt that it is an anxiety thing.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If I have layed off for more than a day sometimes I fight the same thing. However, concentrate on a nice clear sound and good solid air flow and it goes away the more I play. I might check with a doctor, but try the above. Work with long tones and easy things to play. I notice it with old players who don't practice, but I don't think people like Bud Herseth have the problem.

9. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi,

First off, congratulations for persisting in your playing. You have 20 years on me and it is encouraging to feel that I'm not "getting too old" for trumpet playing.
    Have you tried playing cornet at all? The instrument is held closer in to your center and is easier to hear. This may reduce some of the strain that may be contributing to your shaking problem. Then again, given you are no stranger to danger, why not try some light weight training? The famous trumpet teacher Claude Gordon frequently suggests in his books to 'train like a boxer'.

Keep on playing, Pops, you are an inspiration to us all!

Season's Best,

Brian

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Quit thinking of that flute player!

-cw-