Uncontrollable chop trembling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Oct 10, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually over the internet, I don't make any recommendations. I just ask questions. If long tones aren't tremble free and you were my student, I would stop everything until we got the basics back. That is the advantage of regular lessons in person, we generally do not get to the point where things become "excessive".

I believe in a sickness called cyberchondria. It means we get told about some symptoms and phantasize the disease as applying to us. I suffered from this a couple of years back with a torn diaphragm. 3 months 100% off the horn and another 3 month comeback was the result. Things today are still "different"!

ALL of my students have a daily routine that is used only to bring us back to earth and maintain. Bad days can be measured and dealt with on time/in time.

2. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Slightly off the topic. I have old age. :shock:
    I have a slight tremor in my left hand. Sometimes I can control it but most often not. I work it into my sound. I have to work with what was given.

3. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Still trembling? It is logical that it could be dystonia. If so, your trumpet career is over. But let's give it the benefit of the doubt.

4. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    He is just tired. No reason to scare him with dystonia!!!

Trembling is very usual. Enjoy some time off. Your chops and your brain will enjoy it

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  5. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    The trembling has lessened considerably, and, yesterday, it only became apparent after 2 or 3 hours of playing lead parts for my band. This is not dystonia. This is fatigue. I cannot lay out during weekday rehearsals; I am going to have to take Saturday and Sunday off/play lightly for 30 minutes or so.
    Thanks so much for all the insight.

6. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Maybe you should try pedals, during breaks, when playing with the band

Or kissing a girl, that's always nice

7. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Play down the octave